Question Can one defective/faulty NVME SSD make another perfectly fine one have the same issue as the faulty one?

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
Hey guys, I was wondering, if one NVME SSD has some kind of fault that makes it not work properly, can it make another one act up EVEN IF there is nothing running off the faulty one and only on the good one? Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will go "on a limb" and say yes.
I have seen one faulty drive within a system cause all manner of issue with the system itself, much less in relation to accessing what else was healthy. You have a drive that (for instance) is dropping in and out and the bus is spending resource trying to find it, etc.

In my own situation I had a HDD that was on it's way out and the entire system was acting very strange, poor performance, trouble accessing info on the SSD, BSOD, all manner of issue. I probably would have replaced a bevy of items if it hadn't been for the suggestion to breadboard the system. I didn't hook the HDD back up for that process and it worked fine, thus by elimination....

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
G
you need to start testing using software tools and stop guessing, learn to troubleshoot, look things up on DuckDuckGo or Google (shudders)

you very well may have issues with memory, motherboard, etc...

MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool
Here’s a little update. I tested each of my 4 sticks of RAM individually with memtest, all came back with 0 errors. I also managed to recreate the issue with each RAM stick individually. So this rules out the RAM being the issue. That only leaves: SSDs, Mobo or PSU. Now you may be thinking: “If you think it’s one of your SSDs, then why don’t you just try them individually!?” Well, if I try to boot my PC with only one SSD at a time, I get no display for some odd reason, even though the PC is still booting up.

Ralston18

Titan
Some thoughts to add:

First

Update your Post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Second

Questions....

Was it all working before and stopped working?

Or is using dual NVME's a new or changed configuration?

Any memory related errors in Reliability History and/or Event Viewer?

Or any other errors, warnings, or informational events of any sort that precede or correspond with the NVME SSD faults?

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
Some thoughts to add:

First

Update your Post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Second

Questions....

Or is using dual NVME's a new or changed configuration?

Or any other errors, warnings, or informational events of any sort that precede or correspond with the NVME SSD faults?
There is alot more info on my original post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ssd-usage-is-100.3752966/page-2#post-22646147
yes, the same system configuration worked perfectly fine for a year (only thing that changed was getting new RAM but clearly that is not the culprit) and then I just suddenly started having the issue explained in my original post out of no where. I made no changes in configuration that would have caused this.

I get absolutely no error messages in reliability history or event viewer when the freeze occurs, thus making the diagnosis 10x harder.

twowheelstom

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
i am wondering if your new RAM sticks are the correct type, and did you set any new ram speed or ram voltage settings in the BIOS? how about your motherboard make/model/version, and then your new ram sticks make/model/version, let's compare these ram sticks for compatibility with the motherboard and BIOS mhz and voltage settings

Ralston18

Titan
Late thought: also check Update History for any problem updates just before the problem(s) began.

Otherwise all I can recommend is a bit of a "do over". In other words go back through the multiple suggestions and ideas that have been offered thus far in both threads.

You might catch something happening via Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer as has been suggested by @Colif and @Mandark .

Worth another look. You may also find it a bit easier with a second time around. Something not noticed before....

D

Deleted member 14196

G

Here’s a little update. I tested each of my 4 sticks of RAM individually with memtest, all came back with 0 errors. I also managed to recreate the issue with each RAM stick individually. So this rules out the RAM being the issue. That only leaves: SSDs, Mobo or PSU. Now you may be thinking: “If you think it’s one of your SSDs, then why don’t you just try them individually!?” Well, if I try to boot my PC with only one SSD at a time, I get no display for some odd reason, even though the PC is still booting up.

what do you mean? do you have windows installations on both SSDs that were in the computer?

when you installed windows, if both SSDs were plugged in and present, Windows installer will put the boot files on one drive and the system files on the other. so if this is the case, yeah, no display with either. Install windows with ONLY one SSD present and after let sets up, let it reboot and make sure it boots on just the one SSD

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you installed windows, if both SSDs were plugged in and present, Windows installer will put the boot files on one drive and the system files on the other. so if this is the case, yeah, no display with either. Install windows with ONLY one SSD present and after let sets up, let it reboot and make sure it boots on just the one SSD
its just trying to be helpful.
in some way it makes sense to have as much usable space on C drive so having boot on another is a little bit more, though not much really. 1gb at most. Its probably a "feature" from the days when we all had 300gb hdd and eveery little bit helped. The installer needs to be updated to cope and not do it. If you tell it what drive to install to, it shouldn't pollute other drives with hidden folders.

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
its just trying to be helpful.
in some way it makes sense to have as much usable space on C drive so having boot on another is a little bit more, though not much really. 1gb at most. Its probably a "feature" from the days when we all had 300gb hdd and eveery little bit helped. The installer needs to be updated to cope and not do it. If you tell it what drive to install to, it shouldn't pollute other drives with hidden folders.
I still have no progress. I completely formatted one of the SSDs and tried to boot into BIOS at least with just that SSD installed and still no display. Even if I update BIOS, reset BIOS or clear CMOS before installing the SSD then booting, still no display. Even with no SSDs installed still no display. But when the 2 of them are in it boots no problem. Why?? Also no display via onboard graphics.