[SOLVED] Can only access Google (and related sites, Youtube, etc.) on WiFi Range Extenders

Jul 9, 2020
I am trying to extend the range of the WiFi from my CODA-4582 router, ISP is Rogers. I have one TP-Link range extender, model TL-WA855RE V4, and one D-Link range extender, model DAP 1950. The firmware for the range extenders are up-to-date. When connecting any phone or laptop to the WiFi in the parts of the house near either range extender, the phone or laptop indicates that the connection is limited, or no internet is available. Google searches and other Google sites can be loaded quickly and without issue, but when trying to access other sites (such as tomshardware.com for example), the browser (in this case Google Chrome) states that an error has occurred, and the website cannot be accessed.

On the regular WiFi (without range extenders), I can access all websites normally, however, when I run Windows Troubleshooter on any Wi-Fi network adapter for any laptop in the house, the troubleshooter detects the following error (despite the Wi-Fi working perfectly): "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding". Just to clarify, the troubleshooter is detecting this issue when I am connected directly to the router, and all range extenders are unplugged. I am unsure if its related, but I thought I should mention it.

I am unsure what is causing this issue, and I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide some insight or tips for how to fix this.

There is a similar thread here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...letting-me-access-google-and-youtube.3451262/ but there was no solution, and the OP eventually just swapped routers.

Solution
If I've got this right, when you are connected to the router, you can access websites. But when you connect to the extender, you cannot. I wonder if, when connected to the extender, it only appears you can access Google because you're actually seeing a cached web page. If that's true then I'd guess your range extenders are not connected to your router. On your laptop, if you hold down the Windows key and press R, then type CMD, and then type ipconfig /all, you will garner some useful information about your network connection, DNS servers etc. It might be worth comparing what you see when connected to the router with what you see when connected to the wifi extender.
Jul 16, 2020
If I've got this right, when you are connected to the router, you can access websites. But when you connect to the extender, you cannot. I wonder if, when connected to the extender, it only appears you can access Google because you're actually seeing a cached web page. If that's true then I'd guess your range extenders are not connected to your router. On your laptop, if you hold down the Windows key and press R, then type CMD, and then type ipconfig /all, you will garner some useful information about your network connection, DNS servers etc. It might be worth comparing what you see when connected to the router with what you see when connected to the wifi extender.

Solution