Question Can only delete the last item on the list.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi all.

Trying to sort sis's old Lenovo Z575 laptop (AMD A6-3420M). It is basically full of junk as she hasn't carried out any form of spring clean for a good 5 years. During the current 'lockdown', she wanted to use it to 'cast' videos to her TV, so downloaded an 'app' that was meant to do this. Anyhoo, her laptop has basically refused to behave since; doesn't respond to most basic instructions, even to load Firefox.

It runs Win7, so my plan was to upgrade this to '10', something I've done a few times now on various PCs. I'll use Macrium to locate the keys for Windows and Office - both of which are legit, but COAs long gorn...

First things first - I transferred all her important files to an external HDD and this went ok with all her docs and photos safely copied. Oops, I forgot her videos, so back I went. This time her laptop behaved more bizarrely than usual. Plugging in my ext HDD produces the usual 'doo-duh', but when I try and click on it in 'Computer' it goes for the LAST item on the drive list, the DVD. I can click on the new drive, but double-clicking or right clicking on it makes it open the last drive.

Hmm, let's look at the desktop and get rid of some of the stuff on there. What do you know - the same thing; I can only delete the last item on the desktop, and work backwards from there. Trying to do this to a 'middle' icon doesn't work - it simply changes to the last item at the bottom.

Ok, what about 'remove progs' via 'control panel'? Yup - just the same; it lists all the progs, but the only one I can actually delete is the last one! I click on a 'middle' prog but it shifts to the bottom one when I try and select it for death.

What the hell?! It's like a laptop possessed, one that's determined to 'survive' against the onslaught.

At the moment I cannot open the ext USB HDD as the highlighted drive shifts immediately to the last one on the 'Computer' list, the DVD, as soon as I try.

Any ideas folks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
I'm guessing it was caused by the wireless Logitech mouse that I used with the laptop to make it easier to install Win10, 'cos the laptop itself is now running fine.

Really bizarre tho'; even during the Win10 install, when trying to select the language, clicking on 'English UK' was immediately followed by the list falling down to the last item on the list. Using the scroll wheel to try and get back up the list was like acting against a rubber band - it would spring right down as soon as you stopped scrolling.

Anyhoo, laptop now updated and working fine.