Can only one overclocking failure damage the motherboard, cpu and gpu?

keslo

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017
I'm worried for my CPU, GPU AND my mobo. I decided to play the dumbass guy, by oc-ing my i5 2320 to 4ghz. BCLK 109 mhz and a 37x multiplier. After 3 boot failures, my motherboard automatically reduced the multiplier, and since then I changed the settings back to normal. Is my cpu okay? Is my GTX 1060 6GB okay? Please tell me guys :??: :(

Solution
Your other components will be fine. The only real way for them to be damaged via excess power is if it comes from the PSU, which has inbuilt protection against this (assuming it's a quality unit!) You can cook your CPU if you push it too hard, but in that case it's only the CPU that suffers (and you, of course...)
GPU is certainly ok, there's no way to damage it with CPU overclock. As for CPU and motherboard, I guess they are ok too if the board refused to start with your settings. But ultimately you have to check it yourself if your components work fine.

It's part of ocing to have failed ocs til you tune it right. It doesn't damage anything. I would suggest not to leave vcore at auto. Bclk usually doesn't like to go much higher than 105 but still not recommended to keep it at its limit. Even if you just go with 3.7ghz, it'll be helping a bit.

keslo

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017

Well it did refuse and I kinda got the same fps in ow (100 on epic) before and after failed oc.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Your other components will be fine. The only real way for them to be damaged via excess power is if it comes from the PSU, which has inbuilt protection against this (assuming it's a quality unit!) You can cook your CPU if you push it too hard, but in that case it's only the CPU that suffers (and you, of course...)

Solution