[SOLVED] Can other dormant programs affect gaming?

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hi,

I've bought a PC with a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and 6700RX GPU. 32 gb of RAM, 2TB SSHD. It plays my game online satisfactory.

My question is... if I add programs for using when not gaming. Will having the other programs on the hard-drive slow/interfere with framerates when gaming online?

Thanks.

Solution
Hi,

I've bought a PC with a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and 6700RX GPU. 32 gb of RAM, 2TB SSHD. It plays my game online satisfactory.

My question is... if I add programs for using when not gaming. Will having the other programs on the hard-drive slow/interfere with framerates when gaming online?

Thanks.
Just being "on the hard-drive" it won't interfere since it's not been launched yet. But if launched (either by you or by another process) but dormant it shouldn't interfere beyond the resources it's consumed (memory). If well behaved, it should lower it's memory footprint to something very small whenever dormant or not the active window.

And then, it may decide to go active in the middle of a game for whatever reason. Then it might...
Assuming you actually mean SSHD (hybrid) drive and not SSD.
Non-running programs can - but only in extreme cases where space is low (fragmentation) or the other programs are heavily used (so your game is not prioritized in NAND cache)

In SSDs if space is really low then write speeds will drop as fewer NAND paths are available

Non-running programs can - but only in extreme cases where space is low (fragmentation) or the other programs are heavily used (so your game is not prioritized in NAND cache)

In SSDs if space is really low then write speeds will drop as fewer NAND paths are available
Even then that’s unlikely to affect fps unless very extreme. You might see slow load times, maybe some stuttering while thing are still or text pop in.

Hi,

Thanks.
Just being "on the hard-drive" it won't interfere since it's not been launched yet. But if launched (either by you or by another process) but dormant it shouldn't interfere beyond the resources it's consumed (memory). If well behaved, it should lower it's memory footprint to something very small whenever dormant or not the active window.

And then, it may decide to go active in the middle of a game for whatever reason. Then it might consume far more resources and CPU cycles.

And then some programs and applications install services. Those services could be running all the time or only go active when first used. Many motherboard utilities or monitor programs included with hardware install services that fall in this category. And many of them are poorly behaved in that they go active even in the middle of a game to "phone home" and see if there's an update or something. Or worse, they're active all the time and consuming cycles all the time.

That's why it's best to clean up the system to play games. Kill any running apps not needed for the game. And periodically check for non-Microsoft services to see if anything crept in. You'd be surprised what can get in there.

Solution
Hi,

Thanks.
If you mean simply downloading and installing programs that don't require background processes that run all the time, then NO. The programs will have 0 impact other than taking up some of your disk space.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
As long as the program is not running then there is no impact. Even if the program is running there still might be no detectable impact on fps. You can test it yourself.

That's great, just wanted to make sure and ask. I don't know a lot about the workings of a PC.

thanks.

Apologies... I mean SSD.