Can overclocking add cores?

snail915

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Ok so I am having a debate with someone. He believes overclocking for example a quad core can turn it into a Hexcore? Is that the case as I always thought overclocking you could possibly make it perform like a hexcore but not physically make it a hexcore? I always thought a cpu quad core was because it has been manufactured with 4 cores so how can overclocking physically make another core or 2?

Solution
The only way it is possible to 'add cores' is with some variants of AMD CPU's namely Athlons they were sometimes manufactured as say a quad core but then sold as a triple core and one of the cores disabled. Some boards would then allow you to re-enable that core effectively giving you a quad rather than a triple core. However no, you can't add a core to a CPU it is a physical part of the CPU. Overclocking will only increase the speed of each core of a CPU.

Poprin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
The only way it is possible to 'add cores' is with some variants of AMD CPU's namely Athlons they were sometimes manufactured as say a quad core but then sold as a triple core and one of the cores disabled. Some boards would then allow you to re-enable that core effectively giving you a quad rather than a triple core. However no, you can't add a core to a CPU it is a physical part of the CPU. Overclocking will only increase the speed of each core of a CPU.

Solution
No, you cannot physically change the number of cores in a CPU through overclocking.

However, some of AMD's old 3-core chips were a 4-core with one disabled core, and you could sometimes enable it (in some cases it was turned off so they could sell them cheaper, in others it was defective). Even some 2-core ones were done like this.

not possible in any case, a given amount of cores is given, you can not create them with an overclock. If that were the case I would not of bought my i7 4930k!.

Only way to increase cores, which is only a given amount (double) Is hyper-threading, which will turn 4 cores into 8, 6 into 12. Not meaning it makes cores but splits them up into smaller cores to use them more effectively.

Short and simply, an overclock can never increase cores of of a CPU.

snail915

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
You all had very good solutions so it was hard picking who was the best! So hyperthreading and buying a triple core with a 4th core thats disabled are the only ways of adding a core. I knew it was a physical component... its like saying add nos to a car with a v8 and it makes a v10... thanks guys