[SOLVED] Can PC security be compromised through windows 10 key?

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, so my new PC I had to activate it through cmd and connected to a server to activate windows 10, I bought the key from a sketchy website for cheap could it have compromised my PC security and allow me to be hacked?

Solution
Okay, mind if I ask what the purpose of that would be?
When installing the OS, if there is more than a single drive connected, Windows will probably put the small boot partition (System Reserved) on 'the other drive'.
It is not something you choose or can influence.

Later, if you wish to remove that drive or it dies...no bot for you.

Having only one drive connected prevents this. Everything ends up on your desired physical drive.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, so my new PC I had to activate it through cmd and connected to a server to activate windows 10, I bought the key from a sketchy website for cheap could it have compromised my PC security and allow me to be hacked?
Possibly. Unknown what that server website did. Most likely scenario is that you activated against an enterprise license and it will be deactivated in a few months.

USAFRet

Titan
"and connected to a server to activate" ?
Yes, that could have resulted in many things you DO NOT WANT.

Stop right now.
Do a FULL wipe and reinstall.
Win 10 direct from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
When it asks for the license key, skip that portion and proceed on.

This will be Unactivated, until such time as you choose to purchase a valid license key. Generally around $100.

It will run just fine, with the few small restrictions that come with an Unactivated Win 10 install.

Beyond that, you'll not get any assistance here with pirated software. None.

Reactions: punkncat

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, mind if I ask what the purpose of that would be?
When installing the OS, if there is more than a single drive connected, Windows will probably put the small boot partition (System Reserved) on 'the other drive'.

Having only one drive connected prevents this. Everything ends up on your desired physical drive.

Solution

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019

Ah I see, I have done so