Question Can Physical damage to my pc harm the preformance?

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
Hi, I'm having an issue as well as a question.

I'm in college and live in the city but I like to come home a lot which is in a remote and quiet area in the hills. Of course being a gamer i like to take my rig everywhere but the ride can get a bit bumpy and shake my pc around a bit more than usual.

I always like to benchmark my pc to make sure everything is working correctly and one time after coming home I benchmarked on Heaven and noticed extremely low fps like in the 30s which was weird as i just upgraded to a evga 3070 a couple weeks back. I also was experiencing weirdly sluggish times when opening programs as well, like it took a while for them to open.

I did run furmark and everything seemed to be fine getting around 200 fps but did notice a slightly different hum from my cpu fan.

After 2 restarts everything seemed to be normal and working fine but it got me wondering if physical damage (even when the pc is on and running) like my pc rattling around more than usual can lower performance of any kind. As to my knowledge if something is physically damaged it just won't post?

Things to note

My temps looked fine sitting around 50c but did have a box on top of my pc case (ncase m1) restricting airflow.

Wallpaper engine was running

Specs

Evga 3070 xc3

Amd ryzen 5 3600

16 gigs of corsair vengeance ram

500 gb samsung evo m.2 ssd

450 corsair power supply

B450I Aorus Pro Wifi ITX

Ncase M1

Last edited:

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
The google machine says that gpu needs moar powah, recommended is 650w.

Physical damage, yes, I think so but I don't think that's the problem here unless stuff wasn't secured. I think it would take more than riding around in your backseat, and your fans and hdds would catch issues first. Also youtubers are always going on about support for the gpu so it doesn't sag, that seems like a fair point, and if you have a tall cooler like a Hyper 212 EVO that may apply to them also. But then you have people who turn their cases on their sides and run them that way, although I'm not sure if that happens as much as it used to.

But I think your problem here is the PSU. I guess sometimes it really is Lupus.

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
The google machine says that gpu needs moar powah, recommended is 650w.

Physical damage, yes, I think so but I don't think that's the problem here unless stuff wasn't secured. I think it would take more than riding around in your backseat, and your fans and hdds would catch issues first. Also youtubers are always going on about support for the gpu so it doesn't sag, that seems like a fair point, and if you have a tall cooler like a Hyper 212 EVO that may apply to them also. But then you have people who turn their cases on their sides and run them that way, although I'm not sure if that happens as much as it used to.

But I think your problem here is the PSU. I guess sometimes it really is Lupus.
Yes I forgot to mention it but everything is super secure I never install a gpu unless I have a super secure bracket everything is super duper secure as I have tourettes and things do get nocked around a bit from time to time.

But other than fans and a hdd I think there is no in-between it either works or it doesn't.

I saw the 650 wat recommendaton on google but dont think it's to much of an issue as my pc won't pull more than 300-350 wats.

Yes I forgot to mention it but everything is super secure I never install a gpu unless I have a super secure bracket everything is super duper secure as I have tourettes and things do get nocked around a bit from time to time.

But other than fans and a hdd I think there is no in-between it either works or it doesn't.

I saw the 650 wat recommendaton on google but dont think it's to much of an issue as my pc won't pull more than 300-350 wats.
Ok. Call the engineers at Nvidia and let them know they can lower power requirements of their GPU because you don't think so.

What model PSU do you have? If it's anything but a top tier model you're playing with fire.

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Yeah, sorry I was so flippant. I'm just not one to immediately call out a psu ("it's not lupus!") but this time it's a 200w difference. And the card takes 220w, plus 300-350w of your build and you're over the 450w of your corsair. I'm not exactly sure what can happen when a psu isn't putting out enough power but I think it would cause sluggishness.

Nice video card though!

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
Yeah, sorry I was so flippant. I'm just not one to immediately call out a psu ("it's not lupus!") but this time it's a 200w difference. And the card takes 220w, plus 300-350w of your build and you're over the 450w of your corsair. I'm not exactly sure what can happen when a psu isn't putting out enough power but I think it would cause sluggishness.

Nice video card though!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sbqyLP

My whole system minus the GPU pulls around 130 wats and the EVGA XC3 pulls around 220 -230 watts leaving 100 wats of room which is plenty enough for any margin of error or over clocking as long as its not extreme.

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
Ok. Call the engineers at Nvidia and let them know they can lower power requirements of their GPU because you don't think so.

What model PSU do you have? If it's anything but a top tier model you're playing with fire.

I have a corsair sf 450 which is a pretty reliable psu source. If you would read the specs vs googling it you would see that the EVGA xc3 pulls around 220-230 wats the rest of my rig pulls around 130 i think that a 450 is plenty enough for my rig.

https://videocardz.com/newz/evga-la...ce RTX 3070 features,Total Power Draw of 220W.