[SOLVED] Can pico itx motherboards be used for gaming?

Jan 25, 2019
Hello,

i want to make a very small computer with a pico itx board and i was wondering if such a board can handle gaming.

For instance, if i find a way to connect a decent card to it and then power it with the wattage it requires, will the board just fry altogether?(assuming the gpu is not massively held down by cpu)

And can you load windows 64bit on it? if not can you load it on nano itx mobos?

Thank you for your reply!

Solution
The main difference will be in the processors that the motherboard socket and chipset support along with the number and size of expansion soclets.

A pico ITX motherboard will typically not have a pcie X16 graphics card socket that will allow you to install a gaming quality graphics card,

From the processor point of view, one needs to look at the processors a particular pico board will support.
Usually, it will only be a low power processor permanently installed on the motherboard and will have insufficient capability to do any reasonable gaming.

OTOH, Mini ITX motherboard can be configured for top end gaming.

I suppose it all depends on what level of gaming you need.
For anything decent, your graphics card would be much larger than a pico ITX motherboard, negating the value of a small motherboard.
Likely, building based on a ITX motherboard is more reasonable.

Then also there is the intel Hades canyon approach.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/10/intel-hades-canyon-nuc-review/

Jan 25, 2019
But can pico itx board handle such computing power? What are the differences between the boards? I mean what can atx board that pico itx board cannot? Anything crucial?

Can pico itx be loaded with windows 10 64bit?

Theres a massive lack of information about them on google, if you know where can i get these questions answered please direct me to it via link?

The main difference will be in the processors that the motherboard socket and chipset support along with the number and size of expansion soclets.

A pico ITX motherboard will typically not have a pcie X16 graphics card socket that will allow you to install a gaming quality graphics card,

From the processor point of view, one needs to look at the processors a particular pico board will support.
Usually, it will only be a low power processor permanently installed on the motherboard and will have insufficient capability to do any reasonable gaming.

OTOH, Mini ITX motherboard can be configured for top end gaming.

Solution