Question can playback of "data-track" on CDROM cause damage to speakers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707986
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2707986

can playback of "data-track" on CDROM really cause damage to speakers?

put any old game cd-rom into an old cd player and play track-02 will edmitted a loud enough screeching sound through the speaker, supposedly this will cause damage to the speakers because its playing sound at a frenquency its not supposed to, but is that really true?

when i was a teenager back in the late 1990s, i had a pc-engine cd game that i would frequently put in my dad's cd player in order to play the soundtrack. whenever the screeching sound came on, my dad would yell "stop playing that or you're gonna ruin the speakers!", but i didn't listen to him, i just pressed the skip button to skip over the datatrack everytime, the lovely soundtrack of the game was worth it.

eventually the cd player stopped reading disc, but the speakers as i recalled worked to the very end.

i always wondered if the old myth is ever true that data track on the cd could damage speakers at all, i mean if it could damage the speakers physically, wouldn't it also damaged ear drums too?

what do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 2707986

thanks for clearing it up for me! now i can put my game cds in my dvd player to play the soundtracks again without needing to worry about popping my tv speakers.