Can Power Supply Affect Perfomance?

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Is it possible that if we decrease the wattage of the psu, the performance will decrease?
The power provided is not so less that it will burn the system or something, Its able to run the system properly and also able to run games. The only problem is that the performance with the should be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGbRK6Wew-M
Check out this video, The performance of g4560 paired with gtx 1050ti should be better than this. Is the decrease in performance due to the PSU?

I remember some older GFX cards would post a message on the monitor that its in low power mode or something to that effect. If it was in a low power mode that would affect the player's FPS the user would know. There are system requirements that need to be met and to make a choice not to meet them would be the problem. I would expect crashes or other issues but not a performance decrease. The user can make changes to extend battery life if they're on a laptop and increase performance through other changes like prefer max performance in Nvidia's control panel.

I'm seeing a 75W GFX card and a 54W CPU. Maybe another 100W for everything thing else(RAM, board, fans, hard drive and the rest) It could survive with a 300W PSU. He's using a 500W PSU. You could install a 300W PSU and it would have enough power.

Since I know it has enough power I would then look to the PSU's age and quality. There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. A low quality or high quality PSU can fail quietly or very loudly. A quality PSU has safety features in place that protect the user's investment. I have a 1080 Ti. I have a quality PSU that exceeds its needs. I'm not going to put the other hardware in jeopardy to save money .

Let's say I wanted to put its PSU in another PC and this 300W PSU in there. No problem as long as the PSU isn't a time bomb. It's just better to be safe because we've heard the horror stories.

That is a low power draw system both CPU and GPU if it is running on that PSU and the quality is good enough it will be fine, system load is barely going to break 200watts if that.

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Then i think i should be fine buying that psu for that build, Many people seem to have a gud review for this psu in my country(INDIA) even though this PSU is pretty cheap. And also few Indian Youtubers Have featured this PSU in the Cheap Gaming PSU listing.

If you buy it online can you post a link? These questions are archived so it continues to help those with similar needs.

sarthak.saswat.das

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
But i dnt think this PSU is going to do that, as the guy in the video played few games with the same specs with this PSU, and it was fine. Just the performance was not as it should be, but i think thats because it was kept into some low power mode or something as told by @aquielisunari.

And here's the link, in case from India wants to buy it.
https://www.flipkart.com/circle-cph698-400-watts-psu/p/itmf259dwgzf3z5r?gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_Sw-tnM4X9YIXQBtGYPqc1qo99cmiNnBfoEzngFmSaQsMMoszmkLwRoCWJQQAvD_BwE&pid=PSUF24YSPVYGYDGQ&lid=LSTPSUF24YSPVYGYDGQM7XUNX&marketplace=FLIPKART&cmpid=content_psu_8965229628_gmc_pla&tgi=sem,1,G,11214002,g,search,,272254313975,1o1,,,c,,,,,,,&s_kwcid=AL!739!3!272254313975!!!g!475858559994!&ef_id=W1tDZQAAAKY4qxCq:20180901172417:s