Question Can Printers Hook Up To Wifi 5Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarian76

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I want to get a Megatank printer, was looking at Canon Pixma but the specs point to only working on 2.4 band.

What are some other brands that can do 5Ghz? (That have Megatanks).

Ralston18

Titan

USAFRet

Titan
For a printer, there is no magical benefit of 5GHz vs 2.4.

And since WiFi routers do both...

Eventually, there will be printers that can connect to 5GHz. But that will be a 100% advertising thing, not a performance or functionality gain.

Aquarian76

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Actually not looking for any gain per say, I just use the 5ghz to keep my connection separated from other users in the house. I use it for PS gaming, ect. Wanted to hook up my printer to the network name I use, since I'm the only one using the band.

I wonder how many printers are still being sold. I never replaced mine when it broke and when I needed to print some and asked a couple friends they too did not have one that functioned. Then I found out fedex would let you print small numbers of pages. Last time they made a credit card charge for $0.70

There seems to be very few models you can find and when I did a search everything I found was 2.4g.

So if your REALLY want a 5g print what recommend you do is make your own in effect. I would look for a "extender" . You could then either use a ethernet to the printer and use the 5g radio on the extender. The other option would be to use the extender in repeater mode but place it very close to the printer. Technically the repeater to the print would still be 2.4 but only short distance. The repeater would have to allow it run in this mode. Many use 2.4g to the main router and then 5g to the end client.

Status
Not open for further replies.