[SOLVED] Can PSU cause bsod and freezing?

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So when i turn my PC on it either BSOD or just freezes and makes a weird noise from my headphones. This usually happens after few mins of my PC turning on. So today it froze again i pressed the restart button and even before my PC reached starting windows it just gave me a black screen and just restarted once again and after booting up it just blue screened and it blue screened 3 more times and these were the errors

0x0000001e
0x0000001a
0x0000003b

and sometimes my bios just resets after i turn my PC on or restarts, is this an issue with my PSU? its a cheap PSU , I checked my ram using memtest and checked my CPU,GPU,HDD using burnintest for 45mins and it showed no errors can someone please help me diagnose the issue. sorry for my bad English.

My specs

Core 2 Quad Q6600

GT1030

4GB RAM

Win 7 64bit

Solution
Thanks I'm gonna get a new one but what if its not the PSU? is there anyway to conform this?

Not really without having another thing to test. PSU isn't even necessarily the most likely thing here, was just giving you general advice since you said you had a "cheap" PSU.

My first instinct would be to be suspicious of the RAM... i know you said you memtested it. but even if the sticks aren't bad there can be issues with the BIOS settings. Sometimes the default settings don't give the right voltages etc., particularly with those older systems like yours. No specific recommendations there, but that's what I'd look at next if I were you.

And for the more knowledgable people to help you, I'd post more details on your...

Centimetro

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
honestly from what I've seen at this point PSU can cause almost any anomaly. Even things you wouldnt think its responsible for.

Never skimp on PSU. seen "cheap" PSUs damage other components on their way out.

work towards getting a good PSU and also good to always have a backup one to test with just in case IMO. They have good warranties and you can carry them forward to future systems, so its a good investment for builders.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
honestly from what I've seen at this point PSU can cause almost any anomaly. Even things you wouldnt think its responsible for.

Never skimp on PSU. seen "cheap" PSUs damage other components on their way out.

work towards getting a good PSU and also good to always have a backup one to test with just in case IMO. They have good warranties and you can carry them forward to future systems, so its a good investment for builders.
Thanks I'm gonna get a new one but what if its not the PSU? is there anyway to conform this?

Centimetro

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Not really without having another thing to test. PSU isn't even necessarily the most likely thing here, was just giving you general advice since you said you had a "cheap" PSU.

My first instinct would be to be suspicious of the RAM... i know you said you memtested it. but even if the sticks aren't bad there can be issues with the BIOS settings. Sometimes the default settings don't give the right voltages etc., particularly with those older systems like yours. No specific recommendations there, but that's what I'd look at next if I were you.

And for the more knowledgable people to help you, I'd post more details on your Motherboard, RAM, and PSU.

Solution