Question can Raid 1 work on both Mac and PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I am planning on getting 2 internal 2.5" HDDs (1TB to 2TB) for backup, and put them into a Raid Enclosure to set them up as RAID 1. planning on getting this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bay-USB-...688831?hash=item5b55cf8aff:g:648AAOSwXcJcojAS

I have 2 questions:

1. if I format them both as ExFat, will they work on Mac and PC? if not, no biggie. I'll just use my Windows 7 or W10 laptop for backup as NTSF format
  2. is it recommended backing them up using ExFat? if not, why?

I will go for whatever is more stable/reliable, as I want as little problems as possible. Plus, I am not even sure how long more I will be using a Mac.

I am just curious because I have never used RAID before, and I am getting extremely frustrated backing up on 2 HDDs manually each time. I waste houuuuuurs of making both disks look exactly the same.

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
#2 - Currently, your data lives in two places, HDD #1 and HDD #2.
HDD #1 is your working drive, and HDD # 2 is the backup of that. Correct?
You wish to make a RAID 1 out of these.
So then your data lives in ONE place.

Good luck.

(there are multiple ways to duplicate (actual backup!) between HDD #1 and HDD #2, that don't involve a RAID 1)
yes, that is correct. but am I not understanding RAID 1? yes, the data will live in ONE place, but it will be having a 100% backup, in case one drive fails.

i mean technically, i only see it as 1 file, but say if the HDD#1 dies, the file will still be there on HDD#2. correct? sure, i can copy files i want to another external drive to bring it elsewhere. but in theory. the files are all backed up in a MIRRORED way (i.e. HDD1 and HDD2). i just cannot move the drives neither can i move the files between them, since they are mirrored.

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
You need to plan for lightning striking your house & killing all your plugged-in electronics. That's what a backup is.

As for your external raid adapter Amazon has this one that I got from your first 'still ships from China' link. If you have Prime you will have it by Friday. https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-Enclosure-Aluminum-NST-271C31-BK/dp/B074NM3ZXS?th=1
so what is my other option? cloud? i just hate the monthly fees, and the slow upload speeds of my home internet connection.

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Whats your budget?
You already have two drives that would work well but you are irritated by the inconvenience. A more automated solution might involve additional costs.
probably like $300. the problem is, i have 1TB 3.5" HDD and 1TB 2.5" HDD. and that's how i back them up, manually. i mean i also have 1TB 2.5" as well, but i recently found it in a "recycled" dumpster at work. i ran the chkdsk, and it checked out 100% ok and functional (i'm sure there is a better software out there to check, but i havent used it). im just not sure if i can trust this HDD to use as a RAID 1 drive. so, i thought i'd get two 2TB drives for this...

what is your suggestion?