Can ram 1gb ddr pc2700 and 512mb ddr pc2700 work togther in my computer?

G

can ram 1gb ddr pc2700 and 512mb ddr pc2700 work togther in my computer?
my computer recognizes it but only makes available 1gb of memory.

thankx.

csodey

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
My guess would be a bad memory stick. If you are savy then test the stick like the previous post suggested and if that works then update the bios, or maybe a simple CMOS clear will fix the situation.

italstew

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Hi
Thanks guys. My computer ino is:
System Manufacturer: INTELR
System Model: AWRDACPI
Motherboard Manufacturer: http://www.abit.com.tw/
Motherboard Model: IS7-E2 (Intel i865-ICH5)

512 MB DDR PC2700
1024 MB DDR PC2700
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2097152 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1536 MB
Available Memory Slots: N.A.
Total Memory Slots: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Model 2, stepping 7
CPU Speed: 2869 MHz

1. How can i check if the Memory stick is bad?
2. Can I change the computer RAM from single to dual?

csodey

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
You can check the memory with memtest86. Do a search for it and make a boot disk or boot cd. Run the program for 24 hours (yes really that long).

The only way to change the memory from single to dual is to remove one stick so one is installed. The motherboard will change this automatically and the bios I am familiar with there is not an option to enable or disable it manually.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
italstew,

Forget about concerns about dual-channel memory. Although your motherboard would support this, it's not possible since you're putting in two modules which don't have the same size. The other posters must have missed this in your original post. Your 1GB and 512MB sticks will only run single-channel.

Even if you got another 1GB module, it may not match the one you have now closely enough to run as dual-channel. Dual-channel is good because it makes your processor work with the RAM better, allowing it to address each "half" of it independently.

Your system does has the capability to work with two different sizes of modules - like what you have currently. You posted this information:
Currently Installed Memory: 1536 MB

Where did this information come from? According to this, your system IS seeing all the RAM in your computer. Where does it show less? Does the full 1536 show when the computer tests the RAM on Boot?

You might try swapping the RAM around. Try the 1GB in slot 1 and the 512MB in slot 2. Then the other way around. The BIOS does not need to be changed when installing RAM.

One easy way to see how much RAM your system sees is to go to Control Panel / System. The main General page there should show how much physical RAM you have.

Your BIOS has some very advanced options for adjusting Overclocking and controlling many features of your CPU and RAM. If the "System" results show 1024, then you can try changing some of those next.