[SOLVED] Can RAM be damaged during the install proccess

Dec 1, 2020
So I installed a upgrade kit of ram into my computer and I had some trouble sticking it into the slots. I finally got them in but I'm just wondering if all that fumbling could possibly damage my ram. I just tried to stick it in multiple times and took them out and tried again nothing serious.

Solution
It wasn't a ram upgrade kit it was just more ram. I had G skill Tridentz rgb 2x8 16gb 3000mhz ram before and I just bought another 2x8 16gb 3200mhz ram because it was on sale. I'm currently running memtest86 and one error had already popped up. On test 6 and cpu core 3 i think. I have a asus z390 e gaming motherboard and i5 9600k cpu although I have a i9 9900k on standby which im waiting for the thermal paste to arrive.
Adding additional RAM like that is never a good idea due to differences in Latency. Even with the exact same RAM specs.
Don't forget to update your Bios and chipset when you instal the 9900K,
Theoretically ram can get damaged.
Not because of sticking it into the slot multiple times, but because of handling it improperly and shocking it with electro-static discharge.

You are not supposed to touch metallic contacts on ram and
have to remove your electro-static charge by touching metal object (like pc case for example) before handling the ram.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So long as you bought the right sticks of ram for the motherboard(or laptop) you should be fine. Just to be on the safe side, do you have a link to the ram upgrade kit? Make and model of your motherboard and the stick of ram that was in the system prior?

Dec 1, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So long as you bought the right sticks of ram for the motherboard(or laptop) you should be fine. Just to be on the safe side, do you have a link to the ram upgrade kit? Make and model of your motherboard and the stick of ram that was in the system prior?
It wasn't a ram upgrade kit it was just more ram. I had G skill Tridentz rgb 2x8 16gb 3000mhz ram before and I just bought another 2x8 16gb 3200mhz ram because it was on sale. I'm currently running memtest86 and one error had already popped up. On test 6 and cpu core 3 i think. I have a asus z390 e gaming motherboard and i5 9600k cpu although I have a i9 9900k on standby which im waiting for the thermal paste to arrive.

Dec 1, 2020
It's like with any precision instrument, you have to be carefull and treat them with care.
Never force anything but ensure they are seated well especially the offside to the clip if the clip is configured that way.
Is the additional RAM working OK?
Not really I'm running memtest86 currently and already ran into 1 error

Nov 4, 2020
It's very unlikely for a ram stick to get damaged with normal handling unless you have broken something and it didn't seem to be normal or even fierce. I was so paranoid about the ram sticks whether they'll get ESD (electrostatic discharge) damage or I will break 'em into the installation process with that fierce sounding click ( obvious for first time builder) until I got those same ram to a pc repair and they were handling like it's a chocobar lol
Everything is fine unless you try to put different gen ram that doesn't support your motherboard and forced it to fit, generally it is impossible to insert ddr3 in ddr4 motherboard cause notch placement is different for both of them.
So all comes down to your handling precision and preference to every component and I think no one treats ram so preciously cause chances of getting damaged are very low(and I have never seen one ) as compared to processor (most sensitive, specially AMD with 100s pins on it) and GPU or even motherboard ( said to be sensitive to ESD).

Adding additional RAM like that is never a good idea due to differences in Latency. Even with the exact same RAM specs.

Solution
Dec 1, 2020
Check your motherboard's QVL for "memory support" for your current ram with respect to your processor
No like I mean the 2 kits aren't supposed to be mixed they aren't anyways and how do i know its not because its a defective ram but just the kits dont mix or does memtest test individual sticks

Dec 1, 2020
so would it be because the rams dont go well together or the error because i have defective ram

Dec 1, 2020
You should test each kit separately and if any errors found then RMA the full kit.

When you have a RAM mismatch it is because of Latency. RAM kits are binned at the manufacturers factory in order to ensure the DIMMs are compatible.
I ran the memtest and I got one error in test 6 which was like a one bit error or 2 bit error I went into logs and it said my memory latency was like 20 ns
2020-12-01 21:26:09 - cpu_cache_speed - Memory latency: 21.338 ns
2020-12-01 21:35:46 - [MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 6, CPU: 3, Address: 7CB587700, Expected: 00008080, Actual: 00008000
2020-12-01 21:35:50 - MtSupportRunAllTests - Test execution time: 63.903 (Test 6 cumulative error count: 1)
^ that was the error message
I don't feel like waiting 2 weeks to rma my new ram but I feel like its the right thing to do? will 1 error be fine? this is my other acccount

Dec 1, 2020
of course im going to run memtest86 again and if the same error comes up then I would probably rma the kit although I don't know which kit as I never tested my original ram and I remember at least 2 blue screens in my 2 year span

Well you could purchase a kit that will work and return the failed kit for RMA. That way there is no down time or check if the RAM manufacturer will cross ship and keep using what you have till RMA is returned. Just make sure if you get a new kit that you can return them if they don't work.

of course im going to run memtest86 again and if the same error comes up then I would probably rma the kit although I don't know which kit as I never tested my original ram and I remember at least 2 blue screens in my 2 year span

Yes by all means test again cause the error could be a rare MB issue.

When choosing RAM it's best to select a kit that are listed on the MB QVL. That way you know they are tested in conjunction with the MB and known to work.