[SOLVED] Can reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times damage my computer's internal or external hardware?

Feb 18, 2019
This question may sound a little unusual, but it is a question that I wish to ask. I did some testing and experimenting with different settings and configurations of windows 10 on my current computer to look at Windows 10 configurations that best suited my needs. When the configuration results were either not satisfactory or not working, I reinstalled Windows 10 back to the default factory setup and tried again to find a configuration that met my needs. Whenever I rebuild or replace my computers, I generally sell the older parts online through eBay. I do my best to make sure that the hardware components are in working order before I sell them. I understand that both the reinstallation of Windows 10 and the addition of other software and programs can add wear to both my internal solid state drive (where Windows is installed) and internal hard drive discs. My questions are:

1. Can the repeated reinstallation of Windows 10 add ware or damage to other internal components such as the motherboard, optical disc drive, USB 3.0 expansion cards, internal WiFi antenna, power supply, graphic card, etc.? (Note: I do not overclock or mess with the BIOS).
  2. Can the repeated reinstallation of Windows 10 add ware or damage to external components such as the keyboard, mouse, game pad, external hard drive, speakers, display monitor, webcam, printer, headsets, USB 3.0 flash drives, Micro SD cards, MP3 players, smartphone, etc.?

Thanks.

Solution
Note that even for the SSD wear and internal/external cable connections wear, we're talking about orders of magnitude. Reloading and unplugging/plugging in 20-30 'extra' times will do nothing to connections or when taking into account expected life and MTFB, DWPD, or TBW.

However, forcefully unplugging/plugging in a cable/connection wrong, or sideways, or cockeyed, can damage it on the very first plug in - so be careful there!
Feb 18, 2019
Thank you for your responses. My last question, which I forgot to list earlier, is as follows. Since you guys stated that resetting Windows 10 does not add ware or damage to the internal and external components except the SSD and HDD due to the writes and rewrites involved in the Windows 10 resets, would I be correct in understanding that both the internal and external cables of my computer such as the power cables, SATA cables, USB cables, and keyboard, webcam, and mouse cables would not encounter ware or damage by the Windows 10 resets and would be safe to reuse on a new build or replacement desktop computer?

Thanks.

Thank you for your responses. My last question, which I forgot to list earlier, is as follows. Since you guys stated that resetting Windows 10 does not add ware or damage to the internal and external components except the SSD and HDD due to the writes and rewrites involved in the Windows 10 resets, would I be correct in understanding that both the internal and external cables of my computer such as the power cables, SATA cables, USB cables, and keyboard, webcam, and mouse cables would not encounter ware or damage by the Windows 10 resets and would be safe to reuse on a new build or replacement desktop computer?

Thanks.
No more than normal use and no, cables don't wear out but multiple connect/disconnct does wear contacts.!!!

Feb 18, 2019
No more than normal use and no, cables don't wear out but multiple connect/disconnct does wear contacts.!!!
Thank you for your response. I forgot to add speaker, headphone, and headset cables to that final question. Since you stated that the other cables would be fine and only experience ware from frequent connections and disconnections from plugs and ports, am I correct in understanding that the speaker, headphone, and headset cables would also not experience ware from the Windows 10 resets and only experience ware from frequent connections and disconnections from plugs and ports and would be safe to reuse on a new or replacement PC? I have been dealing with a lot of important matters lately so I am sorry that I forgot to add these topics in earlier questions. This is definitely my final question. Thanks.

Last edited:
Note that even for the SSD wear and internal/external cable connections wear, we're talking about orders of magnitude. Reloading and unplugging/plugging in 20-30 'extra' times will do nothing to connections or when taking into account expected life and MTFB, DWPD, or TBW.

However, forcefully unplugging/plugging in a cable/connection wrong, or sideways, or cockeyed, can damage it on the very first plug in - so be careful there!

Solution