Can rendering video to a SSD damage it?

bbac34

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
My computer crashed multiple times the other day and eventually wouldn't boot up windows. I singled out that it was my SSD so I went to go buy a harddrive at best buy and thought why not bring the broken SSD to see if I can get them to look at it. I told them what happened and mentioned my computer crashed while rendering videos. They said that rendering videos on a SSD will eventually lead to the SSD breaking. Is this true?
Also my SSD is recognized in my BIOS boot menu but when I boot it up it takes me to a black screen with a blinking underscore for a few minutes then back to the BIOS screen.
Is there any hope for my SSD because I would love to get some files off of it if possible.

Solution
Rendering on SSD won't damage the drive. What happens is that you make writes to the drive and flash memory only has so many times that it can be written to before it dies. The bigger the SSD the more terabytes written is since there are more flash memory chips to spread the wear across. Most consumer drives have a write rating of about .3 DWPD (drive writes per day). Therefore if you have a 1TB SSD you can write 300GB to it every day for 3 years before you hit the max write of the warranty. Obviously the smaller the drive the lower the size of writes per day and therefore if you keep writing large files to it, you will wear out the drive faster.
Rendering on SSD won't damage the drive. What happens is that you make writes to the drive and flash memory only has so many times that it can be written to before it dies. The bigger the SSD the more terabytes written is since there are more flash memory chips to spread the wear across. Most consumer drives have a write rating of about .3 DWPD (drive writes per day). Therefore if you have a 1TB SSD you can write 300GB to it every day for 3 years before you hit the max write of the warranty. Obviously the smaller the drive the lower the size of writes per day and therefore if you keep writing large files to it, you will wear out the drive faster.

Solution