Question Can Rufus create a USB media installation for Linux?

TheFlash1300

Proper
Mar 15, 2022
Can i use Rufus to burn the .iso file of Linux Mint to a USB drive, then connect the USB drive to a computer, load the system, open the Linux installation (the disc icon on the desktop), and install the full version of Linux Mint on the computer?

Can I do this using Rufus, or do I must use balenaEtcher?

Why is Etcher recommended for Linux, and why is it said that using Rufus for Linux is not a good idea? What is the difference between Rufus and Etcher, aren't they supposed to do the same thing?

Last edited:
Etcher is an imaging tool with many error correction checks, it's overkill. (In my opinion)
I'm using Win32 Disk Imager and never had an issue.
For linux installation media creation I use yumi .
When you say " load the system, open the Linux installation " I hope you mean loading the system from the usb, yes that works.

TheFlash1300

Proper
Mar 15, 2022
Etcher is an imaging tool with many error correction checks, it's overkill. (In my opinion)
I'm using Win32 Disk Imager and never had an issue.
For linux installation media creation I use yumi .
When you say " load the system, open the Linux installation " I hope you mean loading the system from the usb, yes that works.
Ok.
Thanks for explaining this to me.

So, if I use Rufus, Linux will still work properly - and the only difference between Rufus and Etche is that Etcher does validation of integrity, and Rufus doesn't?

ASK THE COMMUNITY