Can run games on new PC

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018
I just build my first PC and it seems to be going great, except for one thing, I can't run any games on it. When I try to run the game it says that my PC doesn't reach the minimum requirements when it definitely does. I tried to run two different games, CS:GO and GTA 5 and they both say they same thing. I have a i5-8600k 8 gbs of ram and a ASUS 1060 6gb turbo and I did install all the drivers. Please help me figure this problem out

Solution
Ok, one last thought. Did you install all the motherboard drivers and controllers? They usually come on a disk or you can download them from the motherboard's manufacturer. If you have, and the card is fully powered and it is putting out a signal (which it obviously is), then I'm at a loss to what the heck the problem may be, sorry.
By checking you've plugged your monitor into the graphics card's outputs and not the motherboard's.
If it is in the card and all the drivers are installed, then I'd have to ask how did you install the game, did you download them (or use the Steam backup and restore system), or did you just put in an old hard drive with the games on it?

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

I have a VGA port on my second monitor but I have an adapter to put it on the HDMI and I did plug it into the 1060 and I installed CS:GO by logging into Steam and downloading the game and I installed GTA 5 by logging into Rockstar Games and installed it from there. I used an old hard drive but I erased the data from it.

Ok, well that's strange then....the reason I asked about how you installed the games is because some people think you can just move them from one PC to another, but this doesn't work as you miss some of the important installation components like the direct X installer.

I assume you installed a fresh OS for this build? Where did you get the drivers for the card (disk, NVidia's website etc.)?

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

I installed a fresh OS, I installed the drivers from Nvidia's website and im pretty sure direct X is installed when installing a game on a new PC on Steam

Yes, every time you install a new game it will install the direct X components it needs, so I don't know what's going on with your build.

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

Thanks for at least trying, I guess I just bought a $900 web surfing PC

Ok, one last thought. Did you install all the motherboard drivers and controllers? They usually come on a disk or you can download them from the motherboard's manufacturer. If you have, and the card is fully powered and it is putting out a signal (which it obviously is), then I'm at a loss to what the heck the problem may be, sorry.

Solution

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

I'll come back with you on that

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

Ok so I installed a bunch of things and I can run a game but it runs like crap, I thunk it might be using on board graphics that I installed drivers for. I think this because my game runs at all low settings at 70 FPS and tons of stuttering when it should be running at all high settings at 125+ FPS

Ok, we're making progress then. I doubt it's using the on-board graphics if you've got the monitor/s connected to the actually graphics card itself.

If I were you, your remove all the graphic drivers and reinstall the latest driver direct from NVidia. The best way to do this is to use DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html scroll down a bit for the download locations. It's best to run it in safe mode, select the "clean and restart" option.

When your PC restarts, you'll be in low resolution using the basic display adaptor. Go to the NVidia website and manually select your card type and OS and then download and install the driver. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

It is using the onboard graphics because when I run the game, I put a setting in the Nvidia control panel and it says
" GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" and below it says " applications running on this GPU" and the game is not there. and when I disabled the onboard graphics, the game cannot run.

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018
Ok so I had two monitors, one in the motherboard and one in the GPU. I took the monitor that was in the motherboard off and just use the one in the GPU. And suddenly it works!

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016

If your GPU got two slots then you can stick both off them in and it will display both and use the GPU!

Ok, note to myself, next time I ask if they have plugged their monitor into the graphics card, be sure to ask if ALL monitors are plugged to the graphics card :)

I'm happy you've got it all working.

TRENDING THREADS