[SOLVED] Can Rx 550 4 Gb run on a 250 watt power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2020
So, I recently bought a 450 watt psu but my little devil brother switched the psu from 220V to 110V which made it burn. I have my old 250 watt power supply and I am wondering whether I can run my rx 550 card on it. My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5 1st gen processor
1st gen mobo motherboard
8 gb ddr3 ram (4 sticks each of 2gb)
500 gb hdd
amd rx 550 4gb (asus)
15 inch lcd display
and a mouse & keyboard for sure

I know it's a low-end pc but I'm happy with it

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
hey there! Thank you for responding. Here's what I found about the power supply using the sticker attached on it:

Delta Electronics
Model No: DPS-250-22 D
I bought it 2 years ago but it says it was manufactured in 2009 Lmao
Maximum output: 250 W

Can't find this model on their products page:
https://www.deltaww.com/Products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=010101&PID=ALL&hl=en-US

maybe it's a discontinued version :(
Well, a pic of the label shows 15 amps on the +12volt which is 15A x 12V = 180 watts. I really don't recommend using this for any discreet GPU at all.
So, I recently bought a 450 watt psu but my little devil brother switched the psu from 220V to 110V which made it burn. I have my old 250 watt power supply and I am wondering whether I can run my rx 550 card on it. My system specs are as follows:

1st gen mobo motherboard
500 gb hdd
amd rx 550 4gb (asus)
15 inch lcd display

Yes, the RX 550 gets all the power (50-65W) from the PCIe slot (75W), so it should run with a reliable 250W PSU.

1st gen mobo motherboard
500 gb hdd
amd rx 550 4gb (asus)
15 inch lcd display

Can you find the model number of the 250 watt PSU and list it here? We want to make sure it's not dumpster fire grade junk before you use it...again. Also, how old is it?

Nov 9, 2020
Can you find the model number of the 250 watt PSU and list it here? We want to make sure it's not dumpster fire grade junk before you use it...again. Also, how old is it?
hey there! Thank you for responding. Here's what I found about the power supply using the sticker attached on it:

Delta Electronics

https://www.deltaww.com/Products/CategoryListT1.aspx?CID=010101&PID=ALL&hl=en-US

Delta Electronics

Well, a pic of the label shows 15 amps on the +12volt which is 15A x 12V = 180 watts. I really don't recommend using this for any discreet GPU at all.

Solution
Well i have the same question
I too have a 250 W dell power supply
It says +12 volts and 17.8 A
Can i run RX 550 4GB ?
17.8 x 12 = 213 watts. RX550 is a 65 watt card. Depends on what CPU you have. If the CPU power is about the same as the GPU it may work but total system power would be too close to the max output of the power supply and it may shutdown. Probably not a great idea. The power supply is just not made for the job you want it to do.

Reactions: Ukasha Zia

Ukasha Zia

Prominent
Nov 23, 2020
17.8 x 12 = 213 watts. RX550 is a 65 watt card. Depends on what CPU you have. If the CPU power is about the same as the GPU it may work but total system power would be too close to the max output of the power supply and it may shutdown. Probably not a great idea. The power supply is just not made for the job you want it to do.
Thanks for your kind reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.