Question Can/Should I get 3070?

Oct 29, 2020
Not entirely sure what I should do... trying to avoid a full rebuild as I’m slowly rebuilding currently. I’d like to get the 3070, but I’m not sure if a 14% bottleneck is worth it..

Monitor: 1080p 244hz
Mobo: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming
CPU: i5-8400 GPU: 2060
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x8
PSU: 1100W Memory:
Samsung Evo 2T

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's not an entirely bad idea getting the card now if planning to upgrade for a better cpu eventually.

3070 is capable of reaching your monito's maximum refresh rate in a lot of titles but cpu may be maxed out in a few.

Can test to see how much your cpu is capable of by lowering resolution/details lowest possible. Use Msi Afterburner to monitor frame rates and total cpu usage and see how many fps you get before cpu reaches 100%. This'll roughly give you a guideline to compare against benchmarks in the same games you play.

Oct 29, 2020
It's not an entirely bad idea getting the card now if planning to upgrade for a better cpu eventually.

3070 is capable of reaching your monito's maximum refresh rate in a lot of titles but cpu may be maxed out in a few.

Can test to see how much your cpu is capable of by lowering resolution/details lowest possible. Use Msi Afterburner to monitor frame rates and total cpu usage and see how many fps you get before cpu reaches 100%. This'll roughly give you a guideline to compare against benchmarks in the same games you play.
Thanks. Yeah I’ll have to test it I guess. I’m just trying to avoid the mobo and cpu right now. I was considering upgrading the CPU, but it would be quite pointless seeing as I can get an i5-10600k and motherboard for about $350. Trying to not pay twice, but enjoy better gaming for now.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You'll have better game playing that's for sure. Can always ramp up antialiasing or use DSR to lower fps demand on cpu.

Thats a good price for a mobo + 10600k. Another alternative would be the 8700k if price is right.

ASK THE COMMUNITY