Can smoke from a burned pot harm a pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hello. Today my mother burned pot with food in kitchen. And there was a lot smoke in kitchen. My room near kitchen. When i enter to my room i smeeled only that smoke. Can that harm pc or i am too much paranoid?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just once, probably fine.

Regular smoking/vaping is very bad for computer components over time. Encourages dust to stick to the system's internal components and can even cause shorts on their own.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any manner of smoke has the ability to cause a buildup, particularly on fans and such as that. What will end up happening is that it offers a place for dust and such to build as well. Most are aware of how a dirty fan causes poor performance.

I would think that one such occurrence is probably not going to be an issue. If the smell persists and is troubling you might consider taking the rig down and giving it a good cleaning with some alcohol wipes and such. There are many good cleaning technique videos around.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
How significant a smoke damage are we talking about and in what distance relation to the burned food?

Very grease heavy smoke pulled directly into a running computer, yes it certainly could mess it up. Stinky smell from a room or two over, likely not.

Pot was burned and there was smoke in kitchen. I dont know if smoke enter to my room but i only smelled that. Room is 6-7 meters from kitchen.

There is no way to damage a computer from smoke in another room, even heavy smoke. You would need a long period of time with smoke in the area with particles to do anything to the system, mostly with build up of things like ash and tar, other deposits. Even then the computer would tend to work fine till the fans and other ports get clogged up and the thing overheats, but the damage is not from the actual smoke, rather the effects of it on other things. As they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end that does it.

Somebody said this to me:"Use the microwave next time. They are safer for GPUs and such".
Dont be worried about Gpu?

Don't worry about the computer, it's fine. You need the thing to be in a pretty major fire are with particles to get damaged, and even then it won't really be "damage" just maybe clogged fans and connectors.
Is it working now? If it is, then it did not get damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.