Question Can Soldered RAM + Slot work together?

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
I am planning to buy Lenovo V14 laptop that has 4 GB DDR4 RAM and as per specs ( I hope I am referring to correct doc) it’s 4GB soldered on board. But there’s a RAM slot also for SODIMM. So specs say you can go upto 8GB + 4 soldered = 12

I think soldered is generally LPDDR4. Does it mean that whatever is soldered will work with separate SODIMM inserted in the DIMM slot?
Crucial states CT8G4SFRA266 which is 8GB 2666 SODIMM is compatible.

I have Samsung 2666 4GB spare SODIMM stick with me. If the 2 (i.e. Samsung and soldered on board) are incompatible what worst can happen? Will I get a black screen or something in slot will burn up causing permanent damage to board??

I am planning to buy Lenovo V14 laptop that has 4 GB DDR4 RAM and as per specs ( I hope I am referring to correct doc) it’s 4GB soldered on board. But there’s a RAM slot also for SODIMM. So specs say you can go upto 8GB + 4 soldered = 12

I think soldered is generally LPDDR4. Does it mean that whatever is soldered will work with separate SODIMM inserted in the DIMM slot?
Crucial states CT8G4SFRA266 which is 8GB 2666 SODIMM is compatible.

I have Samsung 2666 4GB spare SODIMM stick with me. If the 2 (i.e. Samsung and soldered on board) are incompatible what worst can happen? Will I get a black screen or something in slot will burn up causing permanent damage to board??
Try it.
You might want to run the pc for a week or so in stock form just to verify nothing is busted.

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
You have to ask yourself, if there was a SO-DIMM slot and it didn't work, why bother putting in a SO-DIMM slot?

Try it out and see. The worst that'll happen is the computer doesn't boot.
I don't know if there are any sub types in SODIMM RAMs apart from DDR3 & DDR4. Sadly vendors do not provide clear specs online. And Amazon product details are useless and many a time conflicting. Hence the query. May be I should have worded the query differently. English is not my first language.