can some body help me calculate the watts of this card?

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
can some body help me calculate the watts of this card? I need to know the power consumption on this card to exactly pin point if my uninterrupted power supply can protect it during power interruptions in our crappy city. [my UPS SUPPORTS 325 WATTS full load] so I am not sure if it can handle my rig at full load. Anyway I have Asus Gpu Tweak II installed and I have no idea what I am looking at... can somebody translate it to me please in watts? thank you.

Also I am trying to use silent mode since it underclocks the gpu? less watts used?

my full system specs: intel core i7 3770k 3.5ghz [turbo boost disabled]
MSI Z77MAG45 board [Eco saver enabled]
Samsung syncmaster S22B310 monitor [eco saver enabled]
600watts thermal take psu
7200rpm 1tb HDD Seagate
4 120mm case fans
Asus Strix GTX 960 4GB

HALP

Solution
325 watts is a pretty small ups and may have a very short runtime.

To be honest most will beep or have an indicator if overloaded so you will know right away.

If I trust Techpowerup your card has an average gaming draw of 114 watts, but can get upto 147 if you push it hard enough. This is not including losses in the power supply or all the other parts of the system.

I do not see the system even pulling 300 at the wall unless it was pushed pretty hard.

You best bet is to use your UPS software if it has any to check.

Something like these APC models. One shows wattage the other shows a percentage(9.8watts per percent for that unit)
nxqgyu.jpg

Failing that, you can get a meter that shows current power...
325 watts is a pretty small ups and may have a very short runtime.

To be honest most will beep or have an indicator if overloaded so you will know right away.

If I trust Techpowerup your card has an average gaming draw of 114 watts, but can get upto 147 if you push it hard enough. This is not including losses in the power supply or all the other parts of the system.

I do not see the system even pulling 300 at the wall unless it was pushed pretty hard.

You best bet is to use your UPS software if it has any to check.

Something like these APC models. One shows wattage the other shows a percentage(9.8watts per percent for that unit)
nxqgyu.jpg

Failing that, you can get a meter that shows current power use. It plugs into the wall and the computer or other device plugs into it.

Solution
The easiest way to be certain without having a meter to tell you the actual draw of your PC is to pull the plug on the battery backup when the system is moderately to fully loaded and see what happens. Do this after the UPS is fully charged, to get an indicator of both whether it can handle the loading correctly and what your run-time will be. If you can't pull the plug on your UPS and have the system remain stable, it's not going to work any better during a power outage.

You're very close to the limits, if you're UPS is rated for 325 watts. Your power supply will probably give you the ATX recommended 16ms hold up time, which you'll need between the time main power cuts out and the battery kicks in, but the 600 watt Thermaltake PSU I referenced said this is only for a 60% load. That means, your hold up time may not be great, and if your battery takes too long, you could have a pretty big spike, despite not fully loading the PSU, which could push you over the wattage limits, and possibly just turn everything off in the event of a power outage instead of keeping the system up.

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

OK thanks. Btw I have turned off Intel CPU boost and turned on eco saver on my BIOS board... Also ticked energy saver on my monitor as well as lowered my GPU clock to silent mode. I hope this cuts power consumption at least by 30%. Thank you for the reply I will check your solutions too

Eco mode on systems devices lowers idle power further.

On a monitor it should turn down the backlight. If the monitor is LED backlit, chances are it is very power friendly already.

What UPS are you running anyway? Does it have a connection to the computer(USB or Serial)?

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

it's a APC BX650Li Back-UPS also I have monitored my GPU voltages. Here let me post a screenshot so you can see every "max numbers" it has hit Iam not sure how many watts this thing is consuming based on these graphs

28qu5v4.jpg

That unit does not seem to have any kind of connection to the PC for monitoring if the manual is accurate. It will start to beep if overloaded. So either way you will know if you are topping what the UPS can handle.

Unfortunately even among similar cards, the power consumption can vary. The power supply also makes a difference because the efficiency chances load.

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

funny story it did beep when I tested it like 2 days ago while running witcher 3.... the power dropped and the ups was like having a long beeeeepppppp xD

though the ups can handle it when I am surfing the net or just doing light gaming

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

hang on I just figured out something... how many watts does a single pci-e lane gives? added with a 6 pin connector doesn't that make my 960 consume around 150 watts max? if that is the case then why the hell am I dropping? as a matter of fact I think the whole system would only consume around 260 - 290 watts max full load?

A pci slot is good for 75 watts(in general)
A 6 pin cable is good for 75 watts.
An 8 pin cable is good for 150 watts.

So assuming your card is pulling 150 watts(and it may have peaks over 150 for very short periods of time). Add in your cpu. Intel specs it at 77 watts, but it is important to know that the actual power and Intel's average vary as well(even among the same cpu). I just grabbed a old seagate 1TB drive sitting on the shelf and it is rated for 6.24 watts at 12 volts and 3.6 watts @ 5 volts for a total of 9.84 watts(I am sure it has to be working to reach this level). Without adding the monitor, motherboard, fans and any usb devices you are already at 234.84(may be higher or lower).
Now every computer power supply has to waste some power when converting from AC to DC. Switching supplies waste much less than the old linear type, but can still waste 10-30 percent depending on the model and load.

80 Plus rates power supplies based on wasted energy, not output. An 90 plus silver power supply will waste less power(consume less) for the same output as an 80 plus bronze. 80 plus test supplies at 3 points of load(I think it is 20/50/100 % load). Under 20% load most power supplies are less efficient and most are most efficient at 40-60%.

Unfortunately it sounds like your UPS us undersized for your setup. I am surprised it is not warning you when the power is on as well. You may be very close. Removing the monitor may be enough, but without auto shutdown software it is not as nice.

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

you're right... it so happens I have a spare 290 watts UPS lying around here too currently charging. I have also consolted my Monitor's manual... it seems to consume 30 - 40 watts... that should be a big chunk when I transfer it to my other UPS. I hope this time when a stupid blackout hits my 320watts ups can carry my cpu alone

It may not hold the system for very long. This is a problem with running a UPS near max load. I have seen a non computer UPS(little 400 watt peak[would only run that load for a shorter time because it would thermally shut down], but could run 300 for longer) that had very good runtime and it was cheap(stepped wave so not all devices will like it), but had as much battery as my APC SmartUPS 1400

Business class units tend to have larger batteries and longer runtime. This is part of the reason they cost more(the may also be sine wave instead of stepped wave).

I would highly recommend next time you are looking for a UPS check to see if it can communicate with the computer. This will allow it to shut down the computer before the battery dies(or at a set time).

TRENDING THREADS