Question Can Somebody Find The Required Power Adapter

The voltage cannot be lower because of no optical drive.

Maybe lower wattage is what you meant? But I doubt that because optical drives don't use that much power (I have a Samsung DVD-RW that I can use with my phone).

The PC is garbage. You shouldn't sell it. You should give it to an electronics recycler so they can extract the precious metals from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mchado128bit
Aug 6, 2019
Power supply voltage, watts orwhatever I haven't educated myself on this topic. I really think this is important for my friend, because a fee days ago. Hr said all he watches are things about electronics mainly PCs. He only has a laptop and he won't be gaming on it anytime soon. I hope that he can learn from it. If there is no adapter or it's too rare to give a damn about than fine, extract the precious metals it is.

Yeah. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

But using a lower wattage may be problematic. I know most laptops will not charge the battery or down clock the CPU if there's not enough power. Which may be fine for your friend.

But that adapter is VERY specific. You can TRY one of those generic 90W adapters with multiple tips and see if it works at all (assuming you find one with the right tip), but make sure you buy it from somewhere with a good return policy.

Unfortunately, PCs aren't like cars. I can take my 2005 Hyundai with 200,000 miles on it and give it to my kid when she has her license. New tires, oil change... Good to go. But I can't do much with a 2005 proprietary PC with zero upgrade path.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmdcGdFnj

Do think this is the one I need? Do you believe this is a scam, I found it on eBay?

There are other ones with the same image and they are called "genuine." What do you think?

I think it's legit, but legit for a Dell. Not An HP. You have to remember that the big difference is not the voltage or wattage, but the shape of the connector that plugs into the board. That's why I suggested a universal unit that comes with multiple "tips".

Spectre4444

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I think it's legit, but legit for a Dell. Not An HP. You have to remember that the big difference is not the voltage or wattage, but the shape of the connector that plugs into the board. That's why I suggested a universal unit that comes with multiple "tips".
To start from the beginning, you have a HP 8300 SFF computer that you think the power supply has quit and you want to repair it and give it to a friend ? the power supply for you HP is internal - your images posted indicate you seem to be trying to buy/order a external p[owersupply for a laptop ? that will not work for you. Could you please explain your problem again, starting from the beginning- in as much detail as possible... I.E. I have an old computer that doesnt work and I would like to repair it and give it to a friend...it has the following problems.......also I also recommend recycling this rather than giving it to a friend, you would not be doing him any favors...

Aug 6, 2019
Look up "HP Compaq elite ultra slim desktop teardown" that is the exact model, I think it doesn't need an internal power supply, but an external one instead. The time this PC came into my existance was in December, 2018 it was give to me for free and the guy giving it to us said it's missing the powersupply. So it's not repairing it's just finding the part that makes work right. I found out that I needed an external power supply, because of the input with the v 19.5 you can see in the first post.

To start from the beginning, you have a HP 8300 SFF computer that you think the power supply has quit and you want to repair it and give it to a friend ? the power supply for you HP is internal - your images posted indicate you seem to be trying to buy/order a external p[owersupply for a laptop ?

No. The HP 8300 SFF uses a power brick like a NUC. The larger 8300 uses an internal PSU.

Aug 6, 2019
Sorry, I don't have the hang of it.
It wasn't that one it was the 2nd link I think.

Is that what I need? Do I need something around 130 watts or 90 watts? How do you convert volts into watts?

Sorry, I don't have the hang of it.
It wasn't that one it was the 2nd link I think.

Is that what I need? Do I need something around 130 watts or 90 watts? How do you convert volts into watts?

There is no "second link". There's one link and when I click on it it takes me to Google search results that includes an adapter that will not work for you.

Go to the product page of the product you're speaking of and copy that link instead of the Google search results. Otherwise, just buy the adapter at Amazon that I linked to.

The most important thing is the voltage. Your PC needs 19.5V. Wattage is the maximum power delivered. The adapter will only deliver what is required of it. But if your demand exceeds the adapter's capability, the PC will likely shut down.

Volts x Amps = Watts. You can see in your link that the adapter you linked can do 4.62A @ 19.5V. So 19.5 x 4.62 = 90.09 Watts.

But I would not buy an adapter from eBay. Remember? I said buy it from somewhere that has a good return policy (like Amazon) in case it doesn't work.

TRENDING THREADS