[SOLVED] Can somebody help me reset my PC please?

Sep 15, 2019
Hey all, I know the question might be obvious but I'm having problems with it regardless. When I first got my PC I didn't have an SSD, so I had my Windows installed on my HDD, I used Samsung Migration software to move it over to my Evo 860 (or something) but now about 10 months down the line I'm looking to completely reset my PC and then I can redownload whatever I want, I think I need a fresh restart. I've tried using reset this PC in settings and all I get is 'Could not find the recovery environment', I don't have the windows recovery media (currently downloading Windows 10 insatllation to my USB hoping that I can use that for an 'environment') in physical form so I don't know how I'm supposed to reset this damn thing... I'm looking to reformat everything, reinstall windows 10 on my SSD if poss (HDD is fine too) and start with a fresh installation.

Can anybody help me? Is there something I'm missing, an option somewhere that I haven't clicked or am I on the right track with the Windows 10 installation media on my USB? Any questions, please ask, I need help! :)

Thank you all !

Solution
Hi, I can't find where you mean? I've tried searching password, Jonathon (my name), licence keys everything, in the file explorer search bar but can't find anything like that. How do I find my licence key and whatnot before I start this process? I don't wanna go without a proper installation.
You don't need the Windows license key.

Thisis for whatever OTHER software you may have purchased and installed.
However it is tied to YOU.

Belarc Advisor is a good tool for this.

Also, your log on here, for example. "JonnyJames"....what is your password? Write that down.
You'll be starting from a blank slate. Every site you need a password for...you need to know that username and password.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Download the newest version of Windows 10 onto a USB. Use Microsoft's site and tool to do so. You DO NOT need a third party for this.

Go into your folders and save any personal info, pics, videos, downloads and such that you actually want to keep. If you have room on the HDD you can store it there, or you can use an external or cloud storage solution.
As a caveat to that, go into disk management and see if your HDD still has multiple partitions "system reserved" and such. If so you need to move all your data OFF that disk, delete and reformat as one large partition (or multiples, but you get the drift)
After you are sure that the HDD no longer has those Windows associated partitions, proceed as above...

Power down your PC, disconnect that HDD from power/SATA or both. Leave the SSD plugged in.
Use the Win 10 USB you created using Microsofts tool to boot. Use the advanced option to go in and delete all the partitions on the SSD, which should be the only drive you see there.
Reinstall windows, load your motherboard level drivers and allow for ALL updating to happen before you go out hunting your games, loaders, all that. If you are using Defender it will update alongside. If you have some other AV solution, load it, get it updated. After that refresh any drivers you feel the need to. DO NOT USE A DRIVER "HELPER" FOR THIS. Windows will load good, signed, base drivers. You "might" want to update GPU drivers and such. I leave aspects of that to you. Check Device Manager for yellow triangles and such.

When this is all done, reconnect your HDD and you are set.

USAFRet

Titan
Find any and all personal files you wish to keep. Save those elsewhere.
Document ALL your username/passwords/serial number/license keys for whatever software you have installed and sites you visit.

Once you have all that, pretty much as above.
Disconnect all drives except the 860, and...

Reactions: punkncat
Sep 15, 2019
Download the newest version of Windows 10 onto a USB. Use Microsoft's site and tool to do so. You DO NOT need a third party for this.

Go into your folders and save any personal info, pics, videos, downloads and such that you actually want to keep. If you have room on the HDD you can store it there, or you can use an external or cloud storage solution.
As a caveat to that, go into disk management and see if your HDD still has multiple partitions "system reserved" and such. If so you need to move all your data OFF that disk, delete and reformat as one large partition (or multiples, but you get the drift)
After you are sure that the HDD no longer has those Windows associated partitions, proceed as above...

Power down your PC, disconnect that HDD from power/SATA or both. Leave the SSD plugged in.
Use the Win 10 USB you created using Microsofts tool to boot. Use the advanced option to go in and delete all the partitions on the SSD, which should be the only drive you see there.
Reinstall windows, load your motherboard level drivers and allow for ALL updating to happen before you go out hunting your games, loaders, all that. If you are using Defender it will update alongside. If you have some other AV solution, load it, get it updated. After that refresh any drivers you feel the need to. DO NOT USE A DRIVER "HELPER" FOR THIS. Windows will load good, signed, base drivers. You "might" want to update GPU drivers and such. I leave aspects of that to you. Check Device Manager for yellow triangles and such.

When this is all done, reconnect your HDD and you are set.
Thank you for your reply, my HDD in Disk Management is showing 3 parts, 260mb (EFI System partition), 500mb Recovery Partition and then 930.64 GB NTFS (Primary Partition) Is this correct? How should I proceed with that?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Document ALL your username/passwords/serial number/license keys for whatever software you have installed and sites you visit.

YAS!!! I forgot to mention that part. Thanks. I usually go and do a screenshot of installed programs such that I know what was there...and also make sure I have all my license on hand.

Of note here. If you are on a version of Office that is older than '10 it will more than likely invalidate your license saying it's "been used the maximum number of times"....this is an issue I believe is relate to a push towards the newer pay service they offer.

USAFRet

Titan
YAS!!! I forgot to mention that part. Thanks. I usually go and do a screenshot of installed programs such that I know what was there...and also make sure I have all my license on hand.

Of note here. If you are on a version of Office that is older than '10 it will more than likely invalidate your license saying it's "been used the maximum number of times"....this is an issue I believe is relate to a push towards the newer pay service they offer.
I almost lost a $1k CAD application like that a couple of years ago.
The reg was tied to an email, and THEN the license key.

Trying to open it and register after the reinstall..."It seems you used a different email address"
WHAT???

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thank you for your reply, my HDD in Disk Management is showing 3 parts, 260mb (EFI System partition), 500mb Recovery Partition and then 930.64 GB NTFS (Primary Partition) Is this correct? How should I proceed with that?

No, it's legacy stuff from OS being there.

Take all the information on that drive you want to keep and put it somewhere else for a moment. Your SSD, a USB, the cloud, w/e. Then go into Disk Management and right click delete all those partitions, then reformat as one big partition (most cases). Personally would suggest going with an external drive/USB/cloud in this case.
Sometimes it won't "let" you delete those in DM. If that is the case...move all the stuff off, note the drive number and you can utilize your install USB in advanced options to delete all those partitions and then just stop the install afterwards. If it's a bit confusing...you can just take power off the SSD, boot with the USB and HDD connected and follow the similar steps to above, just DON'T install to the HDD.

Sep 15, 2019
Find any and all personal files you wish to keep. Save those elsewhere.

Once you have all that, pretty much as above.
Disconnect all drives except the 860, and...

Hi, I can't find where you mean? I've tried searching password, Jonathon (my name), licence keys everything, in the file explorer search bar but can't find anything like that. How do I find my licence key and whatnot before I start this process? I don't wanna go without a proper installation.

Sep 15, 2019
Can we take it as I don't want anything whatsoever from the PC, I just want everything gone and a fresh windows 10 installation? This kind of thing gets me frustrated so the sooner it's done the better, all i need to know is my licence key or will the Windows 10 installation on my USB be fine?

USAFRet

Titan
You don't need the Windows license key.

Thisis for whatever OTHER software you may have purchased and installed.
However it is tied to YOU.

Belarc Advisor is a good tool for this.

Also, your log on here, for example. "JonnyJames"....what is your password? Write that down.
You'll be starting from a blank slate. Every site you need a password for...you need to know that username and password.

Solution