Question Can somebody help me with PSU and GPU compatibility issues?

Mar 26, 2019
Hey guys - I have a HP Pavilion 690-0020na (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06068675)

This comes stock with a GTX 1050 2gb which i have just realised is completely powered through the motherboard. I have just purchased a gtx1060 6gb which seems to require a 6 pin connector which there isnt one spare in my system. So my question is now - what are my options?

I realise i may need a new PSU anyway since mine is only 310w - is there a specific psu i should be looking for? Will any psu work or is there an issue with some of my components being propietary.

Is there any quick fixes or am I missing something? Is there just a cable i could buy in the mean time or an adpater? - or can my motherboard still partially power it? Might this damage my pc?

I appreciate all help, and i hope i have been as concise as possible, I have attached some photos to hopefully illustrate what my current setup is looking like which maybe could help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jA_BW2Zdy9KK_Sil-jgS9_eS9pwT6dSK/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1urIw8JSka57zAEZjm_jXlvKpKdqZ40Pl/view?usp=drivesdk

You cannot use any adapters, since that PSU cannot power a GTX 1060 GPU.
You will have to get a proprietary PSU for the proprietary HP motherboard.
HP sells a 500W with a 6+2 (8-pin) that can power your GPU and it is compatible with the system
500W ENT17 FR GLD / part #: L05757-800

By the way the 500W PSU is larger, so only one screw will hold it...but it will work on your PC.
In the description of your system it says "PSU is not upgrade-able".

Make sure to check description and notes when purchasing an already build system from manufacturers like HP.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019
You cannot use any adapters, since that PSU cannot power a GTX 1060 GPU.
You will have to get a proprietary PSU for the proprietary HP motherboard.
HP sells a 500W with a 6+2 (8-pin) that can power your GPU and it is compatible with the system
500W ENT17 FR GLD / part #: L05757-800

By the way the 500W PSU is larger, so only one screw will hold it...but it will work on your PC.
In the description of your system it says "PSU is not upgrade-able".

Make sure to check description and notes when purchasing an already build system from manufacturers like HP.

Thank you for your reply this has shed some light on my situation, could i get a new mobo and psu and make it work? (I imagine this may be an investment to get away from proprietary parts) also the link on that PSU is just directing me to the HP parts home page and I am unable to see this part - do you maybe have another link or a re-link?

I think maybe because I am located in the UK i may not be able to see this -
You could search for HP authorized re-sellers like the one below.
EET Europarts

...do you think a new mobo and psu could be a solution? If i got a h370 atx mobo and a suitable psu and used these instead could this be a viable solution?
You will need a new mobo, PSU and case.
HP uses a Lincs customized motherboard, non-standard PSU and non-standard case intentionally.

I used to repair OEM systems and we use to say that HP stands for Horrible Parts or Horrible Products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathanrx2396