Question Can somebody please help. BSOD NETIO.SYS DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

May 28, 2019
Can somebody please assist.

This can happen 3 times per day, or 3 times per month, been ongoing for over 6 months.

I realise it is another driver, but can't identify the 3rd party driver.

All my drivers are up to date, no malware, have run SFC /scannow,, check disk etc.

Unable to unresolved..

System info

Computer name: HP-DESKTOP
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF, Hewlett-Packard, 1998
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel8664, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17063321600 bytes (15.9GB)

Crash info

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052819-13656-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netio.sys (0xFFFFF80559B6A73D)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x50, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80559B6A73D)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netio.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Network I/O Subsystem

I have a copy of the mini-dump, but can't upload here.

Can somebody please advise.

Thanks

Here are the mini dump files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zt45faUYKpTRnwINIBbDLXvbZDnx0qcS

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l1NxHHtOCSWrSpVCBOcSBAxXGjowHgyp

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
netio.sys is the Internet connection for windows so my guess would be LAN drivers. Website for model shows Broadcomm and Intel which makes it difficult to see which you have,

If you have broadcomm, these drivers might fix it - https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/ but don't install that if you not sure which you have. Dumps will tell us.

I will ask a friend to check dumps

Just for my info - https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387475

May 28, 2019
I've got Intel gigabyte drivers installed.

The Intel driver software checker told me everything was up to date.

Then somebody on a MS support page sent me http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.php which has newer drivers, which I've installed. Just have to wait and see how stable the machine remains.

I did use WinDBG but still couldn't fathom the exact driver causing the problem.

If it can be confirmed that it was the Intel L217-LM Ethernet driver, that would be great and most appreciated.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/MOgt.html

File information:052819-13656-01 - Copy.dmp (May 28 2019 - 04:42:50)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for e1d65x64.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

File information:052819-14125-01 - Copy.dmp (May 28 2019 - 06:30:20)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vsdatant.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

Comment: 3 types of RAM are installed. Kingston, Micron, and Samsung.

System page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-small-form-factor-pc/5387475
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 2.77). You are using version 2.74. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Nick-4
May 28, 2019
Interesting, thanks for that Gardenman.

Acknowledge the mixed manufactured Simms, never ran into any issues for years with previous hardware using the same modules. Don't recall the last time I flattened this machine and re-imaged, but didn't have as many BSOD's (if at all) as I do now.

So now I'm wondering if it's physical memory, or virtual swap file on SSD, or faulting module trying to access protected memory, which Netio indicates.

I would ordinarily install a clean OS on it, but the PC can be stable for a few weeks, then crash three times in the same day, plus it's a lot of messing around installing and reconfiguring apps.

Surprised HP have updated the BIOS yet again, it's only within the last month that I recently applied the current version.

Thanks for the info....

Colif

Win 11 Master
one was caused by the Ethernet driver as you suspected

vsdatant.sys is part of zonealarm, why do you have zonalarrn & Kaspersky installed? its not ideal, they can see each other as problems, Since Kaspersky is newer, I would remove ZA

remove superantispyware, it could be the cause. it is from 2011 and way too old.

way too many Antivirus programs :)

May 28, 2019
I downgraded Kaspersky to the free version, it doesn't include the firewall option, hence why I installed Zone-alarm (a bit more robust that Defender). Wanted a level of protection due to visiting a lot of dodgy web-sites (soccer feeds, torents, soulseek).

Regarding superantispyware as well as ccleaner, adwcleaner, rougekiller, programs which I use on a regular basis. I wasn't aware any of these programs are running in the background, none of them should be.

Cheers Colif.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Aug 15 2016 ISWKL.sys ZoneAlarm (Check Point Software Tech)
Mar 11 2017 vsdatant.sys ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus
Jun 11 2018 epregflt.sys Endpoint Security Registry Filter driver (Check Point Software Tech)
Jul 05 2018 cpbak.sys Endpoint Security driver (Check Point Software Tech)
Aug 05 2018 epklib.sys Endpoint Security driver (Check Point Software Tech)
Aug 07 2018 epnetflt.sys Endpoint Security Network Filter driver (Check Point Software Tech)
Aug 22 2018 CPEPMon.sys Endpoint Security Monitor driver (Check Point Software Tech)

It is the firewall driver - The process known as TrueVector Device Driver or ZoneAlarm Firewalling Driver https://www.file.net/process/vsdatant.sys.html

so it appears I just went with how we have it labelled. Sorry about that :)

May 28, 2019
Everything ran fine for about 4 days.

Crashed twice today.

Here is today's dump file, the first time, it didn't even create a dump file, even though it went through the motion of doing so.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFcbsoN_CUv1EG3J-lziXNt3yHnhIGfu

Do you mind analysing this and telling the cause.

Personally I think I'm going to have the bite the bullet here and do a new install, as this is a major headache.

Much appreciated...

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/cnvU.html

File information:060119-13687-01 - Copy.dmp (Jun 1 2019 - 12:50:16)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for vsdatant.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Satan-IR

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I ran the dump, as gardenman said it's a 3B bugcheck.

The process named is Firefox.exe. There are some drivers that might be corrupt or conflicting. If available updating them might help.

One is netio.sys which I think is a Microsoft system driver. Another is vsdatant.sys which is a Zone Alarm anti-virus driver.

There's e1d68x64.sys which I think is the Intel network adapter driver. Also klwtp.sys which is a proprietary driver from Kaspersky some sort of network filter driver.

All of them are somehow related as networking and internet is their common ground and the process is indeed an internet browser, namely, Firefox.

It is generally not advised to have more than one security suite/application on the system as they might at times conflict each other and when they do bad things happen. If memory serves right Zone Alarm also has had some history of acting up in strange ways.

Removing Zone Alarm and updating other relevant drivers like the Intel network adapter might help.

I'd suggest you wait for suggestion from other member as well.

The RAM module seem to be from different manufacturers. Have you added any to the existing ones or have they been like that from the beginning? Having mixed RAM is in many cases a causes of problems and BSODs and stability issues ad such. I'd suggest you check them one module at a time using memtest.

May 28, 2019
The memory modules have always been as they are.

The Intel drivers are up to date, have just updqted the NIC drivers. I am going to strip off Zone-alarm. But don't think it's zone-alarm issue, it's Free kaspersky BTW, so no firewall conflict.

It wouldn't surprise me to be a sound driver conflicting somewhere (IRQ interupt??) , although they also should be up to date. Sometimes if I'm playing music via windows media player and sometimes open second web-site in Firefox which has media, or load up utorrent or soulseek, the sound goes haywire, slows down, breaks ups. Utorrent / soulseek become un-responsive, sometimes can't even access task manager to close app. Yet no BSOD, the NETIO issues are random.

In Sunny Spain, we won it 6 times...

May 28, 2019
Since both crashes have been zonealarm, I would remove it and see if you get any more BSOD.

we can run driver verifier if you keep getting BSOD.
I've taken Zonealarm off, so we will see. I've run that driver verifier in the past, my PC bluescreen every time. I had a few problems accessing the drive afterwards, the OS wouldn't load, had to load in safe mode.

Anyway, let's see if it remains stable without zonealarm.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Getting a BSOD after running driver verifier is the expected result, as the verifer tests drivers, that is what its designed to do. Find bad drivers... its not perfect though and can put you into a boot loop so I don't suggest it unless the driver causing problem is hiding,

Chrispy5

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I've taken Zonealarm off, so we will see. I've run that driver verifier in the past, my PC bluescreen every time. I had a few problems accessing the drive afterwards, the OS wouldn't load, had to load in safe mode.

Anyway, let's see if it remains stable without zonealarm.
Any News?