Question Can somebody please tell me if this is safe (sagging graphics card) ?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Hey all,

Hope you're doing well!

Guys so I have had my PC for around 6 months now, with a GPU bracket stand to go with it.

Does the amount the GPU lifts up when the stand is underneath the GPU look safe to you? I am afraid whether the GPU is being lifted up too much that it could damage the PCB etc.

I have had this GPU sag bracket stand since I have owned the PC, and after a few months of moving the bracket away the GPU does tend to sag a pinch little; hence why I have adjusted the hieght of the bracket to lift the GPU up a pinch.

GPU: 3090
Motherboard: ASUS X570-F

View: https://imgur.com/a/GgsjPBk

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sag is not really an issue. All gpus of any decent size and weight will produce a little-lot of sag, how much depends on how well the card is supported by the attachment bracket at the pci slots. Some cards are barely supported, so get a lot of sag, some cards are reinforced so have little.

What is important is the amount of stress on the pcie x16 slot that the weight of the card induces. Hold your arm out straight, stress on your shoulder. Lift your wrist up 3 inches or lower it 3 inches, same amount of stress on your shoulder. Support your arm at the elbow with your other hand, much less stress on your shoulder.

That's what the gpu support provides, if the card is a little off, no worries. It's the support it provides to take the weight of the card off the pcie slot that's the major benefit. So using it at anything remotely close to a horizontal gpu is exponentially better than not using it at all.
You want to lift the graphics card until it is simply straight and level, not more, not less. End of story.
Totally agree there, but that's more to do with my OCD Feng Sui than with any actual physical benefits. If the card isn't straight, it's Off, and I don't do Off well.

And actually, given the weight of cards from the last five years or so, it is ABSOLUTELY possible for card sag to damage the PCIe slot. This is EXACTLY why many manufacturers began reinforcing them with metal. I've literally seen PCIe slots damaged by card sag, twice, personally, to the point where the board had to be replaced. It didn't happen overnight though and if you simply get it close to straight so that it can't continue to sag further and further, it will be fine.

Keep in mind you don't want to raise it too much either, as going the other direction is just as bag as having it sag too far. Slight allowance either direction should be ok though. Slight being the key. If you are close enough that you have to ask yourself "Is it totally straight now" then you are close enough for normal folks.

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
And actually, given the weight of cards from the last five years or so, it is ABSOLUTELY possible for card sag to damage the PCIe slot. This is EXACTLY why many manufacturers began reinforcing them with metal. I've literally seen PCIe slots damaged by card sag, twice, personally, to the point where the board had to be replaced. It didn't happen overnight though and if you simply get it close to straight so that it can't continue to sag further and further, it will be fine.

Keep in mind you don't want to raise it too much either, as going the other direction is just as bag as having it sag too far. Slight allowance either direction should be ok though. Slight being the key. If you are close enough that you have to ask yourself "Is it totally straight now" then you are close enough for normal folks.
Sag is not really an issue. All gpus of any decent size and weight will produce a little-lot of sag, how much depends on how well the card is supported by the attachment bracket at the pci slots. Some cards are barely supported, so get a lot of sag, some cards are reinforced so have little.

What is important is the amount of stress on the pcie x16 slot that the weight of the card induces. Hold your arm out straight, stress on your shoulder. Lift your wrist up 3 inches or lower it 3 inches, same amount of stress on your shoulder. Support your arm at the elbow with your other hand, much less stress on your shoulder.

That's what the gpu support provides, if the card is a little off, no worries. It's the support it provides to take the weight of the card off the pcie slot that's the major benefit. So using it at anything remotely close to a horizontal gpu is exponentially better than not using it at all.

Totally agree there, but that's more to do with my OCD Feng Sui than with any actual physical benefits. If the card isn't straight, it's Off, and I don't do Off well.

Here is a link to show the photos;

What do you guys think?

View: https://imgur.com/a/PwASUo9

Here is a link to show the photos;
What do you guys think?
Looks fine.
If you want it to be absolutely perfect, then use a level meter.

jinxin-level-measuring-tool-500x500.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Looks good to me. I prefer my blind-ash eyeballs over a level most days, for instance the gpu looks to sit a hair higher at the right side, about 1/8th inch, but that could be the photo. But thats perfectly fine since that distance at the outside of the gpu will be closer to 1/800th of an inch at the pcie slot.

Sep 19, 2022
Hey all,

Hope you're doing well!

Guys so I have had my PC for around 6 months now, with a GPU bracket stand to go with it.

Does the amount the GPU lifts up when the stand is underneath the GPU look safe to you? I am afraid whether the GPU is being lifted up too much that it could damage the PCB etc.

I have had this GPU sag bracket stand since I have owned the PC, and after a few months of moving the bracket away the GPU does tend to sag a pinch little; hence why I have adjusted the hieght of the bracket to lift the GPU up a pinch.

GPU: 3090
Motherboard: ASUS X570-F

View: https://imgur.com/a/GgsjPBk

Its safe.some people are just over blowing it here , just make sure the screw at the end is secure

Its safe.some people are just over blowing it here , just make sure the screw at the end is secure
Says the guy who signed up just to say we were "over blowing" it, when in fact ALL of us EXPLICITLY said it was not a big deal other than if it bothers your OR is extremely saggy. Nice. Welcome to the forum, but, let's try to not start out by immediately disparaging others.

Especially when you are kind of off base when doing it. And furthermore, it's pretty clear you don't understand the reality. The problem isn't the I/O end of the graphics card. It's the other end, and the FACT is, it DOES crack or otherwise damage PCIe slots with big cards.

This is documented. It is irrefutable. And it is WHY manufacturers moved to reinforcing the PCIe slots with metal supports. So, maybe check your facts first and just be sure when you say "they are all blowing smoke" that they actually are. Otherwise, sure, screw is important too.