[SOLVED] Can somebody tell me why my display flickers for five seconds or so a the same time every day?

WaywardSun

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
So, every day, my computer screen flickers briefly at exactly the same time, 6:15 PM PST. If I'm in a game or a piece of software is running, I get pulled to desktop. The screen flashes similar to the way it does when you change the resolution in a graphically intensive piece of software, and then stops after a few seconds. It's been doing this for a few weeks now.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why this is happening. Can anyone recommend a diagnostic I can do or suggest a reason this is happening?

Specs:
i7 8700K
Asus Rog Strix Z390-H
32 GB DDR4 (G.Skill Trident Z RGB)
EVGA RTX 2080
Samsung 970 Evo 250 GB
Samsung Odyssey G7

Solution
Describe "get pulled to the desktop". What happens, what do you see?

You have a number of options:

First what are your night light settings?

Then next start looking into Reliability History and Event Viewer. Determine if either one (or both) captured some error code, warning, or more likely just some informational event at 6:15 pm PST.

My first thought is that some backup or update attempt is taking place.

Look in Task Scheduler. Could be some trigger. An app trying to backup, update, or otherwise phone home. Fails but does not crash the host system.

Another approach is to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Launch one or the other prior to 6:15 PST and...

Ralston18

Titan
Describe "get pulled to the desktop". What happens, what do you see?

You have a number of options:

First what are your night light settings?

Then next start looking into Reliability History and Event Viewer. Determine if either one (or both) captured some error code, warning, or more likely just some informational event at 6:15 pm PST.

My first thought is that some backup or update attempt is taking place.

Look in Task Scheduler. Could be some trigger. An app trying to backup, update, or otherwise phone home. Fails but does not crash the host system.

Another approach is to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Launch one or the other prior to 6:15 PST and just watch. Look for some change that occurs at 6:15 pm PST.

The 6:15 pm PST time is the key.

Solution