[SOLVED] Can someone explain these GPU's and their uses

May 22, 2020
Hi, I have a GTX 1050Ti for gaming and some heavy software purpose. I was going through several youtube videos and saw TESLA gpu's and TURING, PASCAL, DGX and several that many here might be aware of. Can someone explain the difference between these gpu's and what I might ever need? I have seen LINUS use TESLA gpu's for gaming. Is it an overkill? Where do the recently released cards (like RTX2080 ti) stand in front of the above mentioned cards? and what cards are overkill for high end gaming (include ray tracing)?

Solution
Workstation GPU's are meant for a workstation environment, meaning that they don't see gaming duties. The card you currently have is meant for gaming duties primarily but can do some workstation based work though your results won't be refined and you won't get the dev support that is often associated with workstation cards(drivers and troubleshooting wise) from Nvidia or AMD for say people like Dreamworks or their ilk.

Overkill is when you can't tax the hardware enough to reach it's max potential. That being said, what are you working with in terms of app's and what are you trying to look for? Each card will have their own ground to stand once you bring in the app's you're going to use since some apps favor one architecture or design...

Lutfij

Titan
Workstation GPU's are meant for a workstation environment, meaning that they don't see gaming duties. The card you currently have is meant for gaming duties primarily but can do some workstation based work though your results won't be refined and you won't get the dev support that is often associated with workstation cards(drivers and troubleshooting wise) from Nvidia or AMD for say people like Dreamworks or their ilk.

Overkill is when you can't tax the hardware enough to reach it's max potential. That being said, what are you working with in terms of app's and what are you trying to look for? Each card will have their own ground to stand once you bring in the app's you're going to use since some apps favor one architecture or design over the other.

Solution
Hi, I have a GTX 1050Ti for gaming and some heavy software purpose. I was going through several youtube videos and saw TESLA gpu's and TURING, PASCAL, DGX and several that many here might be aware of. Can someone explain the difference between these gpu's and what I might ever need? I have seen LINUS use TESLA gpu's for gaming. Is it an overkill? Where do the recently released cards (like RTX2080 ti) stand in front of the above mentioned cards? and what cards are overkill for high end gaming (include ray tracing)?

As a basic customer i wouldnt worry about the gpu's architecture at all. A card like 2080Ti have turing architecture. I can't bother to go into much detail about different architectures but i bet someone here will, but in case they dont there's alot of articles about various different architectures and the more technical side of gpu's out there.

For high end gaming no card is overkill. 2080Ti is the absolute best and the only option if you really want to use RTX at a high resolution at max settings. A 2080(Super) would however be a solid option in 1080p ultra with ray tracing on.

When searching for a GPU for gaming you should take into consideration your monitor res and refresh rate. Thats the only way to determine if a card is overkill for your needs. You really only need to worry about the card model and framerates when looking strictly for a gaming gpu.

The only "overkill" and REALLY pointless gpu's for gaming are quattro gpu's which are workstation gpu's and are not designed for gaming.