Question Can someone explain to me how switching from hdd to ssd works?

GeneralMercer

Honorable
Nov 20, 2016
So basically I install OS in the new ssd. But does the hard drive still need to have the old OS installed? Does the hdd show as a fellow drive in file explorer and then I can easily copy/paste what I want?

USAFRet

Titan
So basically I install OS in the new ssd. But does the hard drive still need to have the old OS installed? Does the hdd show as a fellow drive in file explorer and then I can easily copy/paste what I want?
2 options:
  1. Fresh install on the SSD, with only the SSD connected
  2. Clone from HDD to SSD.

We can talk through the process either way.

Either way, at the end of the process, you completely wipe the HDD of all partitions.
You only want ONE OS in this system, on ONE drive.

But does the hard drive still need to have the old OS installed?
It does not, assuming you either cloned the HDD to the SSD or you reinstalled the OS with just the SSD installed. The HDD contains something that lets the computer boot into Windows. If you reinstall the OS to the SSD with the HDD installed, the installer will update the HDD rather than make the thing on the SSD so the computer can boot using just the SSD.

Does the hdd show as a fellow drive in file explorer and then I can easily copy/paste what I want?
Yes.

If you clone the HDD to the SSD (make sure it clones the entire drive), then this is the easiest path. Once you verified you can boot into the SSD and everything seems fine, you can wipe the HDD and use it for whatever you want.

If you reinstall the OS to the SSD, then you can still copy and paste what you want, but only do so from your user folder. Though you can also copy and paste games from Steam, Origin, etc. as well. Overall though, it's not recommended to copy programs and stuff over. You should install them.