[SOLVED] can someone explain why 1st gen ryzen arent compatible with x570 mobos?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
is this still true?

does this mean if i get an x570 instead of a b550 i can continue to use my ryzen 2700 as a place holder?
Yes for X570... no for B550. There have been reports of Ryzen 2000 processors working on B550 motherboards but I wouldn't count on it as it's not supported.

VRM quality is much more...varied, lets say...on X570. There are boards with awesome VRM's, like Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, but there are some that are awesomely bad too considering the price tags those things carry. So you have to be careful about what you get.

B550 is more uniform, with some very good ones (but not as awesome as CHVII's) and some borderline capable. That's not so bad for B550 since it's marketed as more budget anyway with...
so will a 4 core 3100 do better on msfs than an 8 core 2700 cuz better single threading?

also, 32gb of slightly slower ram or 16gb of slightly faster for msfs2020? thoughts?

2x8 4000mhz cl18
vs
2x16 3600 cl18 is the numbers in question
As noted, MSFS2020 CURRENTLY uses DX11 and that's not very 'thread aware'. But I'm going to say getting a 4 core is a bad idea if that's your target 'game'.

First is that Microsoft has committed that this is anything but a final product (it better not be). I think many expect them to move to DX12 in the future. Also, as with all prior MSFS releases, it's a platform that's built for expansions and add-ons and third party applications that integrate to the sim. Not just airplanes and airports either. I mean something like an electronic flight bag app, or VOR maps, for instance, that will suck up CPU resources all it's own. And, of course, video streaming your flight activities.

So I'd say anything less than 6 cores is probably not a good idea if looking long-term for running MSFS2020.

Reactions: Desch_

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
As noted, MSFS2020 CURRENTLY uses DX11 and that's not very 'thread aware'. But I'm going to say getting a 4 core is a bad idea if that's your target 'game'.

First is that Microsoft has committed that this is anything but a final product (it better not be). I think many expect them to move to DX12 in the future. Also, as with all prior MSFS releases, it's a platform that's built for expansions and add-ons and third party applications that integrate to the sim. Not just airplanes and airports either. I mean something like an electronic flight bag app, or VOR maps, for instance, that will suck up CPU resources all it's own. And, of course, video streaming your flight activities.

So I'd say anything less than 6 cores is probably not a good idea if looking long-term for running MSFS2020.

sounds about right for me. gonna let this 3100 be a placeholder til jan/feb, will apply a light overclock and see how far i can push the ram 😏

im trying to hold off on msfs2020 til they add helicopters. i know it might be a while but its the only feature im really interested in. so until then i wont be going to ryzen 5000. hoping to score the 8 core 65w cpu whenever theyre released. 5700x or whatever they call it.

whats ur msfs2020 setup like? what kinda fps do u pull?

Actually, the VRM power phase configuration DOES have a very direct effect on the memory configuration. Motherboards with less/lower power phase on the memory side of things (Which is generally the "2" on the "8+2", for example) are usually the ones that end up not being as capable when it comes to memory performance or not being able to as easily run some memory configurations, either at all, or without added voltage to stabilize them, as with many four DIMM configurations. The whole memory architecture on Ryzen is still vastly unusual and confusing in terms of what will run on what, what speed with how many DIMMs, etc., to some degree anyhow, but as long as you get a decent board with a decent VRM configuration, this is one thing that shouldn't be a problem for anybody AND if you're not planning to run more than two DIMMs or run at speeds higher than 3600mhz it shouldn't really be an issue anyhow.

Better boards seem to have MUCH better compatibility across the board with a higher number of memory kits, even to the extent that they tend to reliably run some memory kits not on the QVL or memory manufacturers validation list, above what some lower end boards are able to do. The cheaper the board, the more likely it is that you are going to NEED to get memory that has specifically been validated on that board (Which we usually recommend doing ANYHOW) and the more likely it is that if there have been minor changes to the production makeup of that part number since it was first validated (Which happens, more often than you'd think) it might not play nice on that board despite being in the list of validated or qualified part numbers.

haha im so nervous about this g.skill asrock combo now, THANKS GUYSSSSS!!!
ASSUMING you have a 2-DIMM kit, you'll get out of it what the CPU silicon will let you. It won't be the motherboard that limits it.

You can expect it won't be as easy as setting A-XMP and a reboot though. Not for anything over 3200, and definitely not for 4000. 3600 is a good target, though, as it doesn't make you de-sync the IF and introduce a lot of latency.

You'll probably need to manually dial in some of the advanced timings to get above 3466 or so. To do that you have to know what values to use. I'd get familiar with 1Usmus' DRAM Calculator....here's a link and article about it. You can also watch a video by HWUnboxed where Steve shows us 'how it's done'.

so will a 4 core 3100 do better on msfs than an 8 core 2700 cuz better single threading?

also, 32gb of slightly slower ram or 16gb of slightly faster for msfs2020? thoughts?

2x8 4000mhz cl18
vs
2x16 3600 cl18 is the numbers in question

If you arent getting ryzen 5000

I would get a 10th gen k series and overclock the snot out of it. But you need a seriously beefy cooler like a 360 radiator. The minimum i would personally accept for longevity would be 6 cores

is this still true?

does this mean if i get an x570 instead of a b550 i can continue to use my ryzen 2700 as a place holder?
Yes for X570... no for B550. There have been reports of Ryzen 2000 processors working on B550 motherboards but I wouldn't count on it as it's not supported.

VRM quality is much more...varied, lets say...on X570. There are boards with awesome VRM's, like Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, but there are some that are awesomely bad too considering the price tags those things carry. So you have to be careful about what you get.

B550 is more uniform, with some very good ones (but not as awesome as CHVII's) and some borderline capable. That's not so bad for B550 since it's marketed as more budget anyway with the borderline capable ones closer to $100 price range than $200 range.

Solution

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
so i already purchased a b550m and a R3 3100. they are still brand new in unopened box (the b550m hasnt actually arrived yet).

... think ill return the 550m and the 3100 and purchasing an x570m, very limited options in this category. Thoughts? it'll save me 60$ right now and be a better platform to upgrade to ryzen 5000 if i decide to do so later.

If i do get a ryzen 5000 series it wont be until the non-X versions are released. a 65w cpu is always more palatable for me than a 105w cpu (assuming they keep those numbers the same).

Last edited:
i guess an x570 itx could do the same thing, but there are equally as few options and i feel like im sacrificing a good bit in value for the itx form factor.
You are right...X570 was extremely limited in the small form factors, and even more expensive for what you got.

ITX is usually going to be more expensive since they typically use power stages (or FET's) that have higher efficiency (or Rds(on)) in the VRM to reduce heat output and tantalum capacitors (for smaller size) that are more expensive. Not a good idea to get one unless you're really interested in what they offer -- for 'tiny builds' for instance.

What is your reasoning for going with X570?

FWIW: it truly makes no sense putting X570 on an mATX (even less with mITX) motherboard since it's one distinguishing feature is the ability to support more PCie slots (it provides more lanes than B550). The one thing you can't have much of with the MicroATX form factor is PCie slots, that's probably why there are so few. Only one, as far as I can tell actually...Asrock X570m Pro 4.

Last edited:

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
colorful and GALAX also make this x570m.
https://www.newegg.com/colorful-cvn-x570m-gaming-pro-v14/p/2MG-001S-00004
the one review i read said it was about the same as the ASRock Pro4 x570m.
its advertised as having 10 phase 10k gold blk caps. does this have better power delivery than the ASRock board in your opinion?
Wow...look at the price!

If they are 10 true phases I'd have to imagine it does have good power delivery but I'd say the real benefit is to run cool by spreading the current load out over as many active devices as feasible. The caps are 10K caps.

So here's the thing: even though they design it to run cool, it's all relative. So it's still going to get hot inside a tiny mITX case as they are quite tiny and can have inherently limited airflow. I can imagine someone putting a 3950 on this thing, curling it up inside a tiny mITX case with a Noctua NH-L9a low-profile on the CPU the use it to render out 4k videos. The 3950 will do it...it will just pull clocks until the CPU is safe even though the CPU fan is blowing 95C air onto the VRM caps that, themselves, may be upwards of 100C. Using more expensive 10k caps mean they hope it will still provide adequate service life even when running in that kind of 'hot'. But you pay for that...$242 dollars for no more utility than a $120 B550 mATX board might offer.

Last edited:

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuUWroxA0HvSSipsXlB8hnYkshxD8LdeO5EA6WLdOQw/edit#gid=0

I ended up using these two databases to determine which board would suit me best.

Landed on the MSI B550 Tomahawk.

If it doesnt support my R7 2700 ill just use a r3 3100 as a placeholder while i wait for Ryzen 5000 series.

Thanks a lot for your help, cant wait to slap these pieces together.

If it doesnt support my R7 2700 ill just use a r3 3100 as a placeholder while i wait for Ryzen 5000 series.
I remember Steve at HWUnboxed found that boards VRM to be very cool running in their B550 VRM Thermals review. It should be a good choice!

I think it would be interesting to know if the B550 works with your 2700X, just out of curiosity. Also...how well it works if it does! I'd also try it with the shipping BIOS first, and not update until you're prepared should it stop working.

Reactions: Desch_

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
I remember Steve at HWUnboxed found that boards VRM to be very cool running in their B550 VRM Thermals review. It should be a good choice!

I think it would be interesting to know if the B550 works with your 2700X, just out of curiosity. Also...how well it works if it does! I'd also try it with the shipping BIOS first, and not update until you're prepared should it stop working.

ill have some fun stuff for ya in a week or two, i will be sure to post back here.