Can someone find me a laptop that meets these requirements?

heronymousrex

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I'm helping someone find a laptop and here are the requirements for their needs:

Uses: for work, some x-ray and professional software will be used

The main considerations for them are a good keyboard, a good trackpad, and a good screen (has to be windows)

CPU: dual core minimum
GPU: no gaming needs, integrated graphics
RAM: 8Gb (or lower and upgrade-able to 8Gb)
Memory: Ideally SSD but not essential
Screen: Mid-size, ideally 15 inch screen, preferably 1080p but needs good colors, contrast, and non-glossy screen regardless of resolution
Battery Life: not terribly important, will mostly be plugged in
Size: something durable, doesn't need to be thin and portable
Price point: Around $1300

Solution
It may be larger than what you were looking at, but look for a used Lenovo W510 or 520 workstation laptop. Should not be very pricy (maybe $3-400) and they have very good screens and keyboards.
I don't know of any laptop certfied to be used for viewing radiology images. If he's viewing X-Rays for fun, that's one thing. I worked in a hospital and was the main support person for Radiology and imaging areas, the monitors we had in our viewing area were $5,000 greyscale monitors. Even the quick viewing areas like in the emergency room had IPS good quality screens.

Philip Hobson

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
The minimum require for reading X-ray for diagnostic purposes is on 3MP monitors. . There are standards set by the American College of Radiology that consumer grade monitors simply to not met. While the ACR specs are only recommendations, it may be hard to defend a missed read if these recommendations were not embraced in your hardware purchase choice, especially when dealing with mammography. A precedent is well established that the guidelines put forth contribute significantly to the determination of standard of care. That being said, if the majority of radiologists in your locality follow the recommendations and you don't, than using consumer grade monitors would be practicing below the standard of care.

There's also other features in the QA/QC arena that consumer grade monitors don't offer. There's more specs to look for than just luminance, just like there's more to QC than just checking luminance. One of the most important features of medical grade monitors is Dicom Calibration, which consumer grade monitors do not offer. Dicom calibration ensures that images are displayed consistently over time and that pairs of monitors are color matched.

There is a reason that hospitals purchase $15,000-20,000 medical grade monitors instead of consumer grade monitors and it is not because they haven’t done their research.

For example:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Monitors-Projectors/Medical-Displays-Accessories/Medical-Displays/result.aspx?w=D52

I work for a company that actually wholesales and refurbishes monitors. Our solutions start at around $2000 a monitor ($4000 a pair) for 3MP monitors and $4500 ($9000 a pair) for 5MP monitors. We also carry 6MP monitors.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me with any questions about medical grade monitors.

philip.hobson@baylanddigital.com

heronymousrex

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

The x-ray equipment in question would be for a dentist. So it's not in a hospital setting but a private one and obviously a $20,000 quality monitor is out of reach.

giaoxings

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Even the quick viewing areas like in the emergency room had IPS good quality screens.
tHV4rR