Can someone help me figure out why my internet connection drops when downloading games? (Steam)

Nov 7, 2018
This has consistently been happening through the past 5 years or so where my usb wifi device will be connected just fine to the internet but if I try downloading large game files it will reach a high download speed but then suddenly just stop working.

I have a suspicion that is in relation to my razer synapse **** [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Please follow forum rules...] because once the wifi cuts out my mouse/keyboard will stop functioning and turn off and back on. This only seems to happen through steam when I am downloading big files where there is a constant stream of data being downloaded.

Solution
Pay attention to your usb wifi device.

Before boot up feel the device - should not be warm or hot.

Boot and game and keep carefully checking the USB wifi device/adapter. Determine if the USB wifi device is getting very warm or even hot.

Those adapters are made very cheaply and will eventually overheat and fail.

Another thing you can do is to use a USB extension cable to move the usb wifi device up and away from the computer. The move may help with both transmission and reception. And may help with cooling as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Pay attention to your usb wifi device.

Before boot up feel the device - should not be warm or hot.

Boot and game and keep carefully checking the USB wifi device/adapter. Determine if the USB wifi device is getting very warm or even hot.

Those adapters are made very cheaply and will eventually overheat and fail.

Another thing you can do is to use a USB extension cable to move the usb wifi device up and away from the computer. The move may help with both transmission and reception. And may help with cooling as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS