Question Can someone help me get determine whether my hdd is faulty or not?

May 10, 2020
So I purchased a new HDD a couple of days ago ( WD BLUE 1TB HDD). Installed into my PC as normal and booted it up. No noise coming from the HDD, which I atleast expected. Checked disk management and nothing was showing there. Checked the BIOS and it isn’t recognised there either. I currently only have an SSD installed with my OS.

I swapped the cable around to check I didn’t have faulty cables yet still the HDD isn’t recognised. My MB is the Auros Elite B450 and the SSD is plugged into sata port 0. Is there anything else I can try to narrow down whether the HDD is faulty or not?

May 10, 2020
Haha no I definitely didn’t forget to connect the power cable to the HDD. That’s what I find strange, even though windows/bios can’t recognise it there’s no sign of the drive actually turning on, even though I’m using the same power cable I use for the SSD. Tried as you’ve advised and still no joy. This is starting to look like a faulty drive :(

popatim

Titan
This isn't a cable that was from a previous power supply I hope?

SSD's only use the 5v line but an HDD would use the 12v line as well and cables from a different PSU aren't often pinned correctly for the current PSU.

otherwise check the power cable with a voltmeter if you have one and see if those voltages are good/correct.

May 10, 2020
Hi Popatim,

So Ive recently upgraded my PSU to a 700W, from 450W. I am using the new sata power cable supplied. How do I know Im using the 12v line, not the 5v?

The PSU I'm using is the Kolink Modular Power 700W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply.