Question Can someone help me out with this?

Oct 1, 2020
Hi guys, I've recently snatched a i7 4790, MSI B85M-E45, 12 gigs of ram DDR3 and a XFX Rx 580 8gb setup for 230$ from a reseller (only the PSU and the GPU are brand new) in my city. Bought it, mounted it home, installed windows 10, downloaded csgo and ran a benchmark test.
I was expecting atleast 200fps, but nah, my avg is 120. The CPU is in turbo mode (4ghz) and I've seen at my friend who's got almost the same setup as me (the only difference being he has a 970GTX Strix GPU and a 550W PSU) and still he gets ~300 FPS each time he benchmarks CSGO. He also has windows 10 and he plays on low just like me. I'm thinking, downgrading to Windows 7 would fix the issue, or it wouldn't? pc specs:
CPU: i7 4790 @ 4GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR3 @ 1600 (1x 8GB - 1x 4GB)
GPU: XFX RX 580 8GB GTS XXX Edition
Mobo: MSI B85M-E45
PSU: T-Dragon 600w
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB (OS and 3/4 other programs installed) @ free space ~180GB free
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamaxx 300
so, is 120 fps avg in csgo normal for this system? I also have -high in Set launch options and I'm playing @ 1024x768 stretched with shadows high and Anisotropic 8x no MSAA.
Ultimate performance plan set in windows, selected all cores available in msconfig (8 threads) and I've disabled Xbox Game Bar in windows as I've heard that it's buggy. I mean.. In Assassin's Creed Unity which isn't that well optimized for PC, I'm getting 60-65FPS average with everything on ultra at 1080p and GTA5 with all set on ultra excepting Grass which is on normal and still getting 70/80 Fps avg on online at 900p and 65-70fps avg at 1080p.
Can someone help me out with this?

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Both the CPU and GPU are entry level. CSGO is a very well optimized game, and thus not a very good benchmark. That RAM config is weird, it should always be the same sized stick if you're running more than one. That power supply seems sketchy at best. The 580 should be faster than the 970, but it's probable that you have a CPU bottleneck anyways. He may also be running at standard competitive settings (all low), and if you're using higher settings that could be the cause.

TL;DR:
That framerate is reasonable for those components, but the build is kinda sketchy.

Oct 1, 2020
Both the CPU and GPU are entry level. CSGO is a very well optimized game, and thus not a very good benchmark. That RAM config is weird, it should always be the same sized stick if you're running more than one. That power supply seems sketchy at best. The 580 should be faster than the 970, but it's probable that you have a CPU bottleneck anyways. He may also be running at standard competitive settings (all low), and if you're using higher settings that could be the cause.

TL;DR:
That framerate is reasonable for those components, but the build is kinda sketchy.
the thing is he uses msaa 4x and texture on high and still gets better performance than me. I don't know his BIOS settings tho, he may have changed something there as well, while I only have the cpu ratio set on 40 with OC genie on.
The PSU is rated 80+ bronze with 88% efficiency.
SS PSU Specs

Your friend has an i7-4790 also?

The version of Windows shouldn't matter. There are plenty of people playing CSGO on Windows 10 without issue.

Dumb question - You've got the monitor cable plugged into the ports on the RX580 and not the ports on the mobo around the USB ports and such, right?

Can you provide any monitoring data on - GPU usage (%), GPU temp, GPU frequency, etc while benchmarking CSGO?

Oct 1, 2020
Your friend has an i7-4790 also?

The version of Windows shouldn't matter. There are plenty of people playing CSGO on Windows 10 without issue.

Dumb question - You've got the monitor cable plugged into the ports on the RX580 and not the ports on the mobo around the USB ports and such, right?

Can you provide any monitoring data on - GPU usage (%), GPU temp, GPU frequency, etc while benchmarking CSGO?
I think I wouldn't be getting any display signal if I would've plugged the display cable into the on-board GPU instead of the dedicated one, while the dedicated one is installed in the PCI-e slot, would I?

GPU usage in-game is around15% and nowhere above 40
CPU usage in-game 90/95% on all cores at 4.00/4.10Ghz.

I can't really understand what's happening and before someone comes up with the "do you have fps_max 0 in console?", yes I have it on 0.
Vsync off.
Multicore Rendering enabled in-game (it would just perform even worse in disabled state).