[SOLVED] Can someone help me understand DRAM timing?

Solution
Yes, a bent pin definitely will, or at least CAN, cause problems with one or more DIMM slots if it's the right pin that's bent. Which is why I always advise checking that when there are memory problems.
We're going to need a lot more information than that.

Generally, there is little advantage to overclocking the memory on most systems or for anything other than synthetic benchmark bragging rights or competitive overclocking, again, bragging rights. For a daily driver system your best bet is to simply set the XMP, DOCP or AMP profile, and leave it there.

While the advertised speed of the XMP profile might SHOW as "OC" on the motherboard specs, if the speed you are trying to run at is supported by the motherboard and IS the same as the profile speed and timings, then we don't really consider it to be "overclocked" for the purpose of actually "overclocking" the memory. It IS, because it's outside of the JEDEC specifications in most cases unless it's fairly low speed memory, but it really ISN'T because it's a speed and set of timings that the manufacturer has already reliably verified as stable and reliable.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
The first 4 numbers provided in your screen shot are what they are referring to ( 9,9,9,24). The higher the number the looser the timing, the smaller the number the tighter the timing. If you need to loosen your timing to troubleshoot try changing them to something like 10,10,10,30. If this solves your instability you can then go back and try to re tighten them one at a time untill you find which is causing the instability.

Your problem is most likely that you have them in the wrong slots. They do not belong in the first two slots on the motherboard. They belong in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard.

I would install them in those slots, with the power off, and then do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS including going back into the memory section and reselecting the XMP or AMP memory profile.

IF that does not resolve the problem, THEN I would loosen the timings.

Did these sticks come together in ONE set, or did you purchase them separately?

Reactions: vjose711
Jun 23, 2019
I don't think my motherboard supports memory profile settings.
I got two packs of two rams, i used my hyperX ones at A2 B2 as you asked and followed the steps you told me, but my computer didin't even starts to bios, only a black screen as if there was no memory at all, but when i look through AIDA64 i can see all my mem specs as if they would be working normally. still only seeing 8gb only at bios and in OS 16 (7.99 usable).

Last edited:
What is your current BIOS version?

If you don't have BIOS version 1401 or higher, then I'd update it to the latest version before doing anything else.

I do not see anything in the population rules in the user manual that suggests that there is any reason those memory modules shouldn't work on that board. I'd go ahead and try them in the A1 and B1 slots, which are the first slot next to the CPU and the third slot over from the CPU. If the memory doesn't work when installed in A2 with B2 OR in A1 with B1, then there is a problem with the memory, or the motherboard, or the CPU has bent pins OR the CPU cooler is either too tight or is too tight in one area and not evenly tightened all the way around and is causing it to cock in the socket. As seen here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ual-channel-ram-problem.3483682/post-21058435

Jun 23, 2019
I'm running the latest bios at my mb m5a78-m usb3 (2101 version)
And all my ram works properly at A1-B1, the problem is with the secondary dual channel, it even shows dual channel off at CpuID
64925734_688016075003177_6314860582465961984_n.png

Gonna check the Mb now

Last edited: