[SOLVED] Can someone help me understand liquid cooling?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I am about to assemble my PC.

I have a Ryzen 5900X and a RTX 3080 TI. I do not care about how much money I spend. I just want the best cooling possible.

What would be better?

OPTION A
A single 360mm radiator along the front end of the case.

OPTION B
Two separate 280mm radiators (one bottom, one top).

OPTION C
Two separate 280mm radiators (one bottom, one top). However, one is dedicated for the CPU whereas the other is dedicated for the GPU.

Please note that I know nothing about liquid cooling. I apologize if I sound stupid and that all of these "options" are just <Mod Edit> ideas. I'm looking for someone to educate me so I can learn.

Also, note that I am using the Corsair Crystal 680X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
2 separate 280 would perform better, but all of these really are overkill.

I wouldn't go with custom liquid cooling unless you need absolute silence. Its a lot of work to setup and maintain (routine maintenance recommended)

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
2 separate 280 would perform better, but all of these really are overkill.

I wouldn't go with custom liquid cooling unless you need absolute silence. Its a lot of work to setup and maintain (routine maintenance recommended)

Hello, could you possibly elaborate about what you mean by custom cooling? You say it would require a lot of maintenance?

Would using two Corsair iCUE H115i be considered as "custom cooling"? If not, does this mean it would require regular maintenance?

In addition, could you also elaborate how I would use these separate 280s? For example, should one be dedicated to the CPU and one dedicated to the GPU? Or should both of them contribute to both the CPU and GPU in tandem?

Again, I apologize for sounding really stupid. I'm just trying to learn.

339315-p412263.jpg

The top radiator seems to obviously be in push/pull. I am just wondering, if anyone has extensive knowledge on the dimensions of a Corsair 7000X, does the front radiator also seem to be in push/pull? I am unsure or not if the second layer of fans is simply hidden within the front frame of the case itself. Maybe it is just a single layer of fans. I cannot tell.

As a follow-up question, does it look possible to use this setup in a Corsair 7000X while adding an addition 140mm fan in the rear? Or do you think there is not enough room in this case?

front's showing fans appear to be pulling through the radiator
but you cannot see inside the front panel to tell if there are also pushing fans.

this case does offer adequate space for an average fan to fit inside the front panel though.
this is where their front panel intakes are usually seated.

front's showing fans appear to be pulling through the radiator
but you cannot see inside the front panel to tell if there are also pushing fans.

this case does offer adequate space for an average fan to fit inside the front panel though.
this is where their front panel intakes are usually seated.

To be honest, that's what I'm thinking to.

Also, just a follow up question:
28ba7ad47c4043408e201329b41cusr5.JPG

Based off this image, (it appears as though the top radiator is also in push/pull), do you think there would be enough clearance for a 140mm fan in the rear? It seems as though there is something mounted in the rear (albeit, I am not sure if it is a fan or a radiator). There is tubing going into it, but at the same time there does not seem to be any tubing going into the top radiator. Is this image more for show, than to actually showcase a legitimate build? I don't see any tubing going toward the top radiator. And I am not sure if the rear mount is a fan or radiator. It is shaped like a fan but there is tubing going into it which is odd.

definitely a radiator + fan in the rear.
you can see the fan is ~3/4" away from the rear vent so sitting on a radiator.
and those tubes going into the radiator that you mention.

definitely a radiator + fan in the rear.
you can see the fan is ~3/4" away from the rear vent so sitting on a radiator.
and those tubes going into the radiator that you mention.

Oh, I see now. In your opinion, does that fan look like its 120mm or 140mm? Theoretically, there is room for a 140mm, however, it seems as though they may have fed tubing toward the side where there might be an excess of 2cm (because if it uses a 120mm fan instead of 140mm fan, there would be extra room toward the side of the fan).

EDIT - Now that I think about it. The particular screenshot with the black case might be using ALL 120mm fans. I didn't realize until now. It seems as though that it might be running triple 360mm radiators (plus another 120mm). In the white chassis, it is running dual 420mm radiators. I could be wrong though. Ideally, I want the Corsair 7000X but I really want to run dual 420mm radiators both in push/pull. But not only that, I want enough clearance to mount a rear 140mm fan as well as four 120mm fans on the side. Not sure if there will be enough clearance. Since it's such a new case, I guess I have to buy it in order to find out.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hello, could you possibly elaborate about what you mean by custom cooling? You say it would require a lot of maintenance?

Would using two Corsair iCUE H115i be considered as "custom cooling"? If not, does this mean it would require regular maintenance?

In addition, could you also elaborate how I would use these separate 280s? For example, should one be dedicated to the CPU and one dedicated to the GPU? Or should both of them contribute to both the CPU and GPU in tandem?

Again, I apologize for sounding really stupid. I'm just trying to learn.

H115i is an AIO --custom loop pertains to a loop that you need to buy and assemble piecemeal. Tubing, reservoir/pump, CPU/GPU waterblock, and radiators sold separately. All in Ones include all that, snd are the easy way to do watercooling.

I assume you're mounting the H115i to the GPU with some sort of adapter? Like Kraken H62 or whatnot? Not sure what comes in the box with H62, but make sure you have PWM to mini PWM (GPU fans) adapter as well so the GPU still can control its own fans.

Ideally separate loops/AIOs are better since you're separating the heat load. GPU AIO might be overkill, but they are much more effective than on CPUs. Direct die contact and full spread of cores underneath the die contribute to that.

For instance, my 1080 runs MSI Kombustor at 47°C max with a thin 120mm AIO; no air coolers can achieve that.