Question Can someone help me understand why my i5 11400f was hitting 100 celsius for seemingly no reason?

tomekzakoscielny1

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2017
Hi! Today my cpu has been acting weird for a little bit. I've been playing space marines 2 and game was crashing a lot despite working fine in previous days.
I've thought it was game issue and tried to find solution for that but nothing helped,so I've decided to turn on my msi afterburner and I saw my cpu at 100*C when it usually sits at 50-55 during load,
I've turned off the game and the temperatures stayed the same,despite the load being very low.
MSI afterburner and hwinfo (I've got 2 screenshots from this one) were reading correctly the cpu parameters while gigabyte aorus software was malfunctioning and giving me essentially fake readings.
First thing I've done was to reset my pc but the issue still prevailed,so I went to the bios and I saw the cpu temp reading being -55*C.
This was weird and I wasn't sure if it was loose cooling (fera 5) or busted temperature sensors.
I've disconnected the pc and took side panel off to find scorching hot cpu radiator! You could cook a dinner on this one,so busted sensor was not an option. I didin't do much beside that,didin't reseat cooler or anything,I've just put the side panel on and booted the pc again and...it was working properly? It's behaving well now and I've played some space marine 2,everything is stable again and cpu is fine during stress tests too.
Now I am being bothered because I have completely no idea why would my cpu go to such extreme temps (never was a thing even under stress test) with system idling.
Anyone has any idea why it happened? I'd like to know in case it will happen again.
I will include 2 small screenshots from hwinfo. Only cpu was acting up,everything else was fine.
hardware in question:
I5-11400f
gigabyte z590 aorus ultra
View: https://imgur.com/a/aTM0uO2

Silentium PC Fera 5(air cooling)
so, you don't mean "radiator".
you mean the fins are hot to the touch.
this is necessary or there would be no heat being dissipated from the CPU itself.

are you sure it's fans are still running, and still running at necessary speeds?
think it pretty much sums it up
you don't mention the case or overall system cooling.
are you sure you have adequate cool air intake and exhaust?

also make sure you are on the latest BIOS for this motherboard
and afterwards choose to Load Optimized Defaults.

tomekzakoscielny1

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2017
so, you don't mean "radiator".
you mean the fins are hot to the touch.
this is necessary or there would be no heat being dissipated from the CPU itself.

are you sure it's fans are still running, and still running at necessary speeds?

you don't mention the case or overall system cooling.
are you sure you have adequate cool air intake and exhaust?

also make sure you are on the latest BIOS for this motherboard
and afterwards choose to Load Optimized Defaults.
Yes all fans are working properly and everything else had proper temps power consumption-everything was just fine,that's what weirds me out.
My case is "Silentium PC Gladius X60" it's quite big case in which I have 7x 120mm fans that are positioned correctly and are working fine. No liquid cooling in this pc.
I think everything was properly working and I've spotted absolutely no issues,but still my CPU was insanely hot. CPU cooler was so hot that I've burned my finger quite bad in 1-2 seconds I've touched it to check if it's sensor issue or if cpu is truly putting out such heat.
Nothing helped but to plug it off and drain whatever electricity was inside. Then it "fixed" itself.

Last edited: