ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Hello People of Tom's Hardware!

I have had this issue for awhile with overheating. It would thermal throttle quite a bit at 4.9Ghz (basically any demanding application: Premiere Pro, any triple A video game etc.). Utilizing the intel extreme tuning utility, I turned the turbo clock down to 4.5 ghz (it was previously 4.9 ghz). I assumed 4.5 was more than enough. It has fixed my temperature issue but, I want to see if I can utilize this new chip at the power it was intended (4.9ghz). I was just curious how I would go about doing that with my setup here. My main question is do I need to just obtain a better cooler (if so what do you recommend for an ITX Case)? or is there some other settings I can change to help with the temperature?

Here is a list of what I have tried:
Replaced Thermal Paste
Installed brand New Cryorig C7 Cooler.
Cleaned all dust out of computer
installed push and pull fans that I ensured were facing the right direction for optimal cooling

PC Specs:
GTX GeForce 1070
Intel i7-9700k Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) with Cryorig C7 cooler
HyperX FURY 16gb (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666
980 PCIe NVMe SSD 1TB M.2 (Windows is loaded to this)
TOSHIBA 1TB Hard Drive

This is obviously not urgent but, I am going to re-image my computer soon. The problem is since the customization from Intel Extreme Tuning Utility will not exist until re-downloaded.

Thank you for all the help you can give.

Solution
Cryorig C7 is simply too small for that cpu.
While TDPs should be taken with a grain of salt, there's not much else to go on.

Cryorig rates that cpu cooler for UP TO 100w loads.
Intel's 95w TDP only applies to the 9700K at base clock only, under all core loads. With Turbo Boost active, the cpu's power draw can far exceed that rating - up to double that.

No one could recommend anything without at least knowing what the chassis is.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cryorig C7 is simply too small for that cpu.
While TDPs should be taken with a grain of salt, there's not much else to go on.

Cryorig rates that cpu cooler for UP TO 100w loads.
Intel's 95w TDP only applies to the 9700K at base clock only, under all core loads. With Turbo Boost active, the cpu's power draw can far exceed that rating - up to double that.

No one could recommend anything without at least knowing what the chassis is.

Solution

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
I understand. I figured as much. Yeah I did jump into buying this hot new chip without thermal issues. Any recommendations for new cooler that fits in on a ITX motherboard/case?

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
Thermalright Silver Arrow 130

After that, it's just AIOs, such as
Kraken X42
Liquid Freezer II 120
Pure Loop 120

It’s upsetting because I really like air coolers but, I’m nervous about the Silver Arrow 130. It’s a taller cooler and I’m nervous my motherboard might not fit because if you look at the mother board it’s got some annoying steel next to the CPU. Thank you though. I might just have to get an AIOs. If I’m gonna go for one I guess I should get the Kraken X42.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What annoying steel?
iu

ridefire123

Prominent
Sep 27, 2021
The I/O shield isn't THAT tall.

It's tough to explain. The steel part is really close to it and makes installing coolers a little harder than it should. It made installing the Cryorig quite difficult. You think that Silver Arrow will actually fit there, for certain? The problem is that I have bought coolers before that I looked up and it said it would work but in the end I had to return it because it didn't fit. Another site told me that some mini-ITX boards can't have tall coolers. I'm not sure but, if you can confirm that the Silver Arrow will work well, I'll give it a shot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Measure the height of that I/O shield, then measure it up against the cooler's specs: http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-130/ (scroll to the bottom)
The bottom of the finstack clears 35mm - while on top of the cpu, of course, otherwise add a few more mm.

Besides, isn't the Cryorig C7 wider at the base? I also don't know what made the other coolers you tried incompatible.
Was it the mounting bracket obstructed by the shield? Or was it some part of the heatsink?

I looked around, but couldn't find pictures or other forums for what I wanted, so I have to resort to the above.

Noctua has their NH-C14S, but it's not as potent as the SA130 would be.

Last edited: