[SOLVED] Can someone help me with AMD Ryzen 9 3900x performance?

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I read so much and can't seems to find correct answer.
I have two PBO options on my motherboard (system specs in signature) should an able both?
One with the accept/decline options and regular PBO? Does it matter?
I do have memory set D.O.C.P. and fabric set correct to it.
I do know PB2 is on out of the box. ?
During stress tests only hitting 3.8/3.9ghz out of the box.

Weird to switch to this from my 7700K intel.

Solution
One of main points of Ryzen is that it doesn't have to be overclocked (much) for best performance. Chiplets and cores are already checked and binned before assembly into finished CPU package. That's how AMD gets such range of CPUs. All cores (across whole range)are done on same silicone and die, dies with cores that didn't make it go to smaller and cheaper packages, best ones to faster packages and with more cores and best of best get an X at end.
According to testing and binning results. minimum, maximum and boost capabilities of whole package gets final part number. That leaves very little to no room for overclock. Most are limited to all core OC that's no more and sometimes even lower frequency than maximum boost on one core. Core...

alexbirdie

Respectable
I own a 3950x.

After some trials with PBO etc. I am using following settings:

no PBO, Undervolting with -0.1 volt, Gskill-RAM 36 GB 3600 with 14-14-14-14 (1.45 ram-voltage and 1.1 SOC-voltage) and IF 1:1:1 CB MT about 9480-9520, ST about 538. temperatures with folding home( 32 threads, FULL and GPU) about 68-70 Celsius, with AIDA64-stability-test all but disk stress test about 70-72 Celsius).

PBO or manual core overclocking only produces a lot more heat because needing much more current. Therefore I recommend not to overclock.

Reactions: chaos_viper15
I own a 3950x.

no PBO, Undervolting with -0.1 volt, Gskill-RAM 36 GB 3600 with 14-14-14-14 (1.45 ram-voltage and 1.1 SOC-voltage) and IF 1:1:1 CB MT about 9480-9520, ST about 538. temperatures with folding home( 32 threads, FULL and GPU) about 68-70 Celsius, with AIDA64-stability-test all but disk stress test about 70-72 Celsius).

PBO or manual core overclocking only produces a lot more heat because needing much more current. Therefore I recommend not to overclock.
Although it's quite powerful CPU, aren't you loosing some performance without PBO enabled and set ?

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I own a 3950x.

PBO is single core right?
So I don't think anyone would gain much of anything from it.

I do have a very good cooler so not to worried about temps, keeping current stock settings, mainly the voltage out of the box at 1.4v only when boosting clocks of course, but seems to never even in games stuck at 3.8Ghz which is super slow to me after going from 5Ghz. As for RAM/Memory I have it 3200Mhz 1600 on the fabric.

Just trying to find best settings for clocks and performance, just worried when hear about degradation with constant voltage on the CPU.

Last edited:
PBO is single core right?
So I don't think anyone would gain much of anything from it.

I do have a very good cooler so not to worried about temps, keeping current stock settings, mainly the voltage out of the box at 1.4v only when boosting clocks of course, but seems to never even in games stuck at 3.8Ghz which is super slow to me after going from 5Ghz. As for RAM/Memory I have it 3200Mhz 1600 on the fabric.

Just trying to find best settings for clocks and performance, just worried when hear about degradation with constant voltage on the CPU.
Any boost is single core on highest rated core but also all other cores according to their rating. Only difference is that enabling PBO allows for higher single and other cores boost proportionally but that comes with price of higher voltages and temperatures so your cooling has to be ready for it.
If you don't want PBO or any boost you need to set frequency manually.

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Any boost is single core on highest rated core but also all other cores according to their rating. Only difference is that enabling PBO allows for higher single and other cores boost proportionally but that comes with price of higher voltages and temperatures so your cooling has to be ready for it.
If you don't want PBO or any boost you need to set frequency manually.
Well I do want some type of boost.
I would set frequency I'm just unsure if I need voltage change or degradation effects.
Do you know which PBO as I have two the AMD OC tab one with the "accept or decline" warning?
or basic PBO without the warning?

EDIT: Here is a photo of PBO (not the warning message one) and auto OC+200mhz. Prime95 small FFTs 50 minute run. I was getting 4.0Ghz all core with the test.
View: https://imgur.com/Q9PiHw9

Last edited:
Well I do want some type of boost.
I would set frequency I'm just unsure if I need voltage change or degradation effects.
Do you know which PBO as I have two the AMD OC tab one with the "accept or decline" warning?
or basic PBO without the warning?

EDIT: Here is a photo of PBO (not the warning message one) and auto OC+200mhz. Prime95 small FFTs 50 minute run. I was getting 4.0Ghz all core with the test.
View: https://imgur.com/Q9PiHw9
Your temperatures are high so it was downclocking. If you could keep them at about 62-65c boost would be much higher, possibly 4.5-4.6GHz on single core and about 4.3-4.4GHz on rest of cores. With manual OC, 80-85c is not going to degrade it.

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Your temperatures are high so it was downclocking. If you could keep them at about 62-65c boost would be much higher, possibly 4.5-4.6GHz on single core and about 4.3-4.4GHz on rest of cores. With manual OC, 80-85c is not going to degrade it.
That is cause voltage on auto is over 1.4v causing heat. If i adjust voltage manually then yeah I can keep it cooler however I heard constant static voltage is bad.
I can get the higher clocks and just leave voltage on auto.
If you're saying it won't degrade and drop my clocks than definitely fine with manual OC on frequency.
Sorry just AMD 3000 series is my frist AMD then reading all these reports watching jayztwocents videos then asking forums for other experiences to make sure is confusing.

That is cause voltage on auto is over 1.4v causing heat. If i adjust voltage manually then yeah I can keep it cooler however I heard constant static voltage is bad.
I can get the higher clocks and just leave voltage on auto.
If you're saying it won't degrade and drop my clocks than definitely fine with manual OC on frequency.
Sorry just AMD 3000 series is my frist AMD then reading all these reports watching jayztwocents videos then asking forums for other experiences to make sure is confusing.
That's pretty standard for most new processors, not only Ryzen, they have solid boost and are fast to react on loads, problem is with some BIOSes that tend to raise voltage too far when left on auto, ostensibly for better stability.

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I own a 3950x.

Same settings I am using with my 3900x. 0.1 negative offset, no pbo. Seems to be a sweet spot for performance actually with less heat

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Same settings I am using with my 3900x. 0.1 negative offset, no pbo. Seems to be a sweet spot for performance actually with less heat
I'll try that. I can't get 4.0Ghz with 1.3v I hit damn near 90c at 88-89c bouncing around. So less heat is what I need. So I took core clock back to auto. Voltage at 1.3v. Should I set the offset instead?

EDIT: It is a lot less heat and running 3.65Ghz on prime5 small FFT. Do I need to set frequency?

Last edited:

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I'll try that. I can't get 4.0Ghz with 1.3v I hit damn near 90c at 88-89c bouncing around. So less heat is what I need. So I took core clock back to auto. Voltage at 1.3v. Should I set the offset instead?

EDIT: It is a lot less heat and running 3.65Ghz on prime5 small FFT. Do I need to set frequency?
That's really all I changed was AUTO to offset -0.100. I was kind of disappointed that it isn't very overclockable (at least to my knowledge). I'm coming from an i7 2600K that I was running around 4.5-4.6. But it is a much better processor all around

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
That's really all I changed was AUTO to offset -0.100. I was kind of disappointed that it isn't very overclockable (at least to my knowledge). I'm coming from an i7 2600K that I was running around 4.5-4.6. But it is a much better processor all around
Yeah I'm coming from a 7700k at 5ghz with just 1.33v. It was time to upgrade I guess. More cores for my streaming and road trip rendering videos lol.

One of main points of Ryzen is that it doesn't have to be overclocked (much) for best performance. Chiplets and cores are already checked and binned before assembly into finished CPU package. That's how AMD gets such range of CPUs. All cores (across whole range)are done on same silicone and die, dies with cores that didn't make it go to smaller and cheaper packages, best ones to faster packages and with more cores and best of best get an X at end.
According to testing and binning results. minimum, maximum and boost capabilities of whole package gets final part number. That leaves very little to no room for overclock. Most are limited to all core OC that's no more and sometimes even lower frequency than maximum boost on one core. Core temperature plays a large role in frequency and boost, saving cores from deteriorating because of high voltage and heat.

Reactions: Makaveli
Solution

chaos_viper15

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
According to testing and binning results. minimum, maximum and boost capabilities of whole package gets final part number. That leaves very little to no room for overclock. Most are limited to all core OC that's no more and sometimes even lower frequency than maximum boost on one core. Core temperature plays a large role in frequency and boost, saving cores from deteriorating because of high voltage and heat.
Makes sense. Thank you. Well I did get the heat down with offset of 0.100. The base clock I'm getting is 3.6ghz on prime 95 stress test which doesn't matter I suppose cause in games and while streaming last ngiht I was boosting around 4.2-4.3ghz across the cores. Was running much better FPS wise too with it this way,

I didn't know about PBO+autoOC, PBO enabled only, manual OC, now I understand about ryzen cpus.

I want to say thank you to you all for helping me understand AMD cpus for the future. Watching videos like I mentioned really as many video doing manual OC and then the others.

My current settings which seem to be okay are 0.100 offset for heat, D.O.C.P. on memory with fclk @ 1600mhz (cause ram kit 4x8gb 32gb 3200mhz) everything else on auto, everything else is where its suppose to be now.

Makes sense. Thank you. Well I did get the heat down with offset of 0.100. The base clock I'm getting is 3.6ghz on prime 95 stress test which doesn't matter I suppose cause in games and while streaming last ngiht I was boosting around 4.2-4.3ghz across the cores. Was running much better FPS wise too with it this way,

I didn't know about PBO+autoOC, PBO enabled only, manual OC, now I understand about ryzen cpus.

I want to say thank you to you all for helping me understand AMD cpus for the future. Watching videos like I mentioned really as many video doing manual OC and then the others.

My current settings which seem to be okay are 0.100 offset for heat, D.O.C.P. on memory with fclk @ 1600mhz (cause ram kit 4x8gb 32gb 3200mhz) everything else on auto, everything else is where its suppose to be now.
You are welcome. I was following Ryzen since before it was released for sale and had them since first 1600x.