Question Can someone help me with motherboard diagnostics?

May 10, 2019
I am sorry for the bad formatting I am not familiar with the rules of the forum, but I have a problem.

I was playing a game with my friend, I started smelling some fried circuitry smell, thought nothing of it and a couple of seconds after that my pc shutdown.
When I tried rebooting it the power button lit up but nothing came on, no fans, nothing, but the power led was on.
I don't think it's the power supply but honestly I am not sure.

What are some motherboard frying signs?

Ralston18

Titan
If something burned there is nothing to distinguish (by odor) what component(s) may have burned.

You may be able to distinguish between burned plastic, insulation, dust/debris but that is somewhat limited as to the exact cause and source.

You will need to unplug the computer, open the case, and use a bright light to look for black or brown streaks, melted components, and signs of heat damage in general.

Look everywhere and at everything. May be hard to discover the location and component(s) involved.

Overall, the problem is most likely within the PSU (which you should not open up). You can inspect it from the outside somewhat and by sniffing around the ventilation slots and holes.

See what you can find and post accordingly. Post photographs.

May 10, 2019
If something burned there is nothing to distinguish (by odor) what component(s) may have burned.

You may be able to distinguish between burned plastic, insulation, dust/debris but that is somewhat limited as to the exact cause and source.

You will need to unplug the computer, open the case, and use a bright light to look for black or brown streaks, melted components, and signs of heat damage in general.

Look everywhere and at everything. May be hard to discover the location and component(s) involved.

Overall, the problem is most likely within the PSU (which you should not open up). You can inspect it from the outside somewhat and by sniffing around the ventilation slots and holes.

See what you can find and post accordingly. Post photographs.
I don't really know how to post photographs... The graphics card green light turns on, so does the power button but the power supply fan doesn't. I am in the process of finding a power supply to test with...

Ralston18

Titan
Warm/hot electronics do have a residual "smell". Should not be all that noticeable in normal situations.

If something is or has burned there is likely to be a distinct burned, rubber, plastic, or perhaps even a fishy smell (bakelite).

Try to describe "weird".

May 10, 2019
Warm/hot electronics do have a residual "smell". Should not be all that noticeable in normal situations.

If something is or has burned there is likely to be a distinct burned, rubber, plastic, or perhaps even a fishy smell (bakelite).

Try to describe "weird".
Something like melted plastic, like the smell of a put out candle something of the sorts.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not consider such a smell as normal with either a new or used PSU.

There may be, and fairly so, other opinions on that matter....

My recommendation is to test the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you do not have a multimeter and/or know how to use it then seek help from a knowledgeable family member or friend.

The other option is to just replace the PSU and hope that that fixes the problem.

May 10, 2019
I would not consider such a smell as normal with either a new or used PSU.

There may be, and fairly so, other opinions on that matter....

My recommendation is to test the PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you do not have a multimeter and/or know how to use it then seek help from a knowledgeable family member or friend.

The other option is to just replace the PSU and hope that that fixes the problem.
I tried shorting the 24 pin connector and it didn't start, I don't think I need to measure it anymore tbh.