Can Someone Help Me With The Instalation...? (about partition)

JunkFoodz

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
sorry but im really new to this thing so i dont really know about this partition things...

1. I just built a new desktop with a new Hard Drive
2. I tried to install windows 7 and then theres this partition things came up

The question is...
1. What is this partition things...?
2. Do i need to create new partition?

sry about my english...english is not my native language pls understand

Solution
It it's a new drive, you shouldn't have any partitions on it yet. As for the 10GB unallocated, whoever created the primary partition didn't use the entire size of the drive. So just for an example, lets say you had a 500GB drive. When asked to make the primary partition and select the size, that person selected to use 490GB for the partition leaving the last 10GB unallocated. Normally when you are asked, the number in the size field is the entire size of the drive. Whoever made that partition changed the default value to 10GB less than the full size of the disk.

If you didn't make these partitions, first off you need to ask: If this is a new drive, why are there partitions on it already? It's possible you were sold a used drive...
Yes you need at least one partition on the disk to install Windows. A partition is a storage space on a storage device. You can have more than one on a single drive. However most people just create a single partition spanning the entire drive. Once you've created the partition, the Windows installer will do a quick format on it and then start copying files to it.

JunkFoodz

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
im still confused XD

cuz there is 3 partition

first system reserve?
second primary?
third unllocated?

and why do u create more than 1? (more than 1 primary partition)

sry too many question >.<
i just dont understand partition definition in this one

So is Windows already installed and you are looking at this in Disk Management?

The system reserved is where Windows stores backup for system files. Then if your Windows file system ever has a problem, Windows will attempt a repair. If it detect that one or more of the system files is corrupted, it will copy it from the system reserved partition. This partition is automatically made when you install Windows on any drive.

The primary partition is where Windows is actually installed.

How much room is left unallocated?

JunkFoodz

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
i havent install it yet cuz im a bit paranoid about this stuff
unllocated : 10gb

oh now i get it im so stupid XD
lol im just followed the internet how to install it without even knowing what im acctually doing...

1 more question what happen with the unllocated

It it's a new drive, you shouldn't have any partitions on it yet. As for the 10GB unallocated, whoever created the primary partition didn't use the entire size of the drive. So just for an example, lets say you had a 500GB drive. When asked to make the primary partition and select the size, that person selected to use 490GB for the partition leaving the last 10GB unallocated. Normally when you are asked, the number in the size field is the entire size of the drive. Whoever made that partition changed the default value to 10GB less than the full size of the disk.

If you didn't make these partitions, first off you need to ask: If this is a new drive, why are there partitions on it already? It's possible you were sold a used drive.

If you wish to continue installing on this drive regardless, then my suggest is to delete all the parttions (system reserved and primary), this will make the entire drive unallocated. Then start the install process and select the entire drive to make your primary. Windows will set aside 100MB - 400MB for the system reserved and set the rest of it as your primary partition.

Solution

JunkFoodz

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
O.O im confused a new hard drive shouldnt have partition...?

im sure its a new one western digital 1TB Blue or maybe....nah thats my problem

k thank you for ur help and sry for wasting ur time

No problem, glad I could help.

Just an explanation about a new internal drive. They don't come partition or formatted. This is done by you when you first install Windows. However if you have already attempted to install Windows during this process, you may have made the partitions without knowing it.

I have heard of unscrupulous retailers selling what amounts to open boxed drives as new. They repackage them to look like new, but aren't. This is mostly with bare drives, not retail boxed drives. So lets say someone returns a drive because he has a problem with it. The retailer gets it back and can't find anything wrong with it. Technically it's no longer new and should be sold at a discounted price and sold as open boxed so that the person buying it knows that it's not "new". However because bare drives are just that, they are very easy to wrap back up in the anti-static bag and sell as new and no one is the wiser, Except, oops, there are partitions on a drive that shouldn't have any on it.