BURGOMASTER

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
can whoever is out there help me? i am planning to move to london for year and want to take my computer with me. its a shuttle so i dont have to worry about space or weight restrictions my only concern is that i know that in europe the wall outlets are different.... would i just need an adapter or could i just get a whole cord? need a european power supply? i have absolutely no idea what i need to make it work over seas. can someone please advice me? same question goes for my monitor i have a samsung 172x that i want to take with me, would i need a new cord? would the adapter be fine?

dd_viper

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
i have been to europe in the past and used american plugs in their plus using a simple $10-20 adapter. It allowed me to plug in everything i needed that i brought. I dont know if a computer would work, but i assume it would because everything else did.

BURGOMASTER

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
that makes plenty of sense i was just concerned in the long term usage of an adapter. it might sound silly but i dont want to let my system go to waste i'm thinking that it would be fine but better to ask anyone that might know rather then rebuilding the thing overseas

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm going to assume you have the 120/240v switch on your power supply (or 115/230, or 110/220, same thing). You could use an adapter but I wouldn't. That's because in the U.S. power cords cost around $1 and I can't expect them to be more than 2x that in Europe.

The computer end of the cord is the same in all countries, it's the other end that's different.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BURGOMASTER

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
the cord thing makes sense, thats what i was thinking as well anywhere i could get a cord here ? i'm going to look for it online as well, wish me luck, thanks for the info