Question Can someone help with getting remote view on NVR to work?

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
The app is trash and though it works it only barely works. The web interface works great on my network but I am trying to get to where I can view it remotely. I have created a NO-IP account and added it to my router. I can access everything on my network perfectly except for the NVR. I have forwarded HTTP port 80 and RSTP port 554 as TCP. When I go to my network (port 80) through DDNS url that I created, I can see the log on page for my NVR's web UI but upon attempting to log in I get greeted with an invalid username or password error. I can access it on my internal network just fine and I can access the web UI log-in page remotely but it doesn't recognize my credentials. Does anyone have some insight on this?

Thank you.

It might be easier accessing a local computer on the network thru RDP / Teamviewer / etc, and using it to monitor your NVR. In many cases these NVRs use extensions to browsers in order to see the feed.

Your other option is to use packet sniffing app line Wireshark, install it on a local computer, and check what other ports the NVR needs.

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
Did you establish a static IP for the NVR?

If not, try to do so via the router's admin functions.

Use an IP address that is outside of the allowed DHCP IP address range and reserve the static IP address for the NVR via the NVR's MAC.
So I've set up a static IP through the router but I it would not let me save an IP address outside of the allowed DHCP. Same goes for my NVR, It will not let me assign an IP outside of the DHCP range either.

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
It might be easier accessing a local computer on the network thru RDP / Teamviewer / etc, and using it to monitor your NVR. In many cases these NVRs use extensions to browsers in order to see the feed.

Your other option is to use packet sniffing app line Wireshark, install it on a local computer, and check what other ports the NVR needs.
Thank you, I will try using wireshark to find what other ports may need open. I have tried using Teamviewer (from work) to view the camera and it works but I'd like another alternative for when I bring my computer with me which is often the case.

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
How is the router (make and model?) currently configured with respect to the allowed DHCP IP address range?

Check the NVR's User Guide/Manual: verify that you can indeed establish the NVR to use a static IP.
The router is a Netgear WNDR3400v3. Under LAN setup, the DHCP IP address range is specified as 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254 and the router is enabled for use as a DCHP server. I currently have the NVR reserved on the router as 192.168.1.2 and I enable DHCP on the router to receive this address. The cameras that are attached to the NVR are 172.25.123.2 through 172.25.123.5.
I just find it strange that I can access and log in to the NVR locally but when I try to access it remotely (public IP : Port number in the URL) I can see the login page but my credentials are denied.

Ralston18

Titan
The reserved (static) IP address for the NVR must be outside of the DHCP IP address range.

Change the DHCP IP address range to 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20 (or wider if you have that many devices (yours + guests).

Set the NVR to 192.168.1.3 provided that there are no other static devices with that assigned static IP address.

Your router also needs to be configured to "port forward" requests to the NVP using the NVR's IP address and MAC.

Not sure about the camera's and how the NVR is handling their respective IP addresses. Is it correct that the camera's are plugged into the NVR or are the cameras connected via the router?

Are you able to sketch out a drawing showing the connections and current IP addresses.?

Do not post your public IP address.

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
The reserved (static) IP address for the NVR must be outside of the DHCP IP address range.

Change the DHCP IP address range to 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20 (or wider if you have that many devices (yours + guests).

Set the NVR to 192.168.1.3 provided that there are no other static devices with that assigned static IP address.

Your router also needs to be configured to "port forward" requests to the NVP using the NVR's IP address and MAC.

Not sure about the camera's and how the NVR is handling their respective IP addresses. Is it correct that the camera's are plugged into the NVR or are the cameras connected via the router?

Are you able to sketch out a drawing showing the connections and current IP addresses.?

The cameras connect WIFI direct to the NVR. I changed the IP address settings the way you suggested and everything locally still works fine but my credentials remotely are still being rejected. I've included some screenshots of the Netgear settings and NVR settings in case you might see something I missed. Let me know if there is something like a submenu you want to see what are not in the attached images. Thank you
for continuing to help me.

Netgear LAN Setup
Netgear Port Forwarding
NVR Network Settings
NVR Port Settings

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019

You sir have been very helpful and I thank you. I have figured it out with your advice coupled with advice from another user. I was able to use Wireshark to compare packet results locally with result from remote attempts to find which port was being blocked and needed forwarded. With my current IP address set-up and having the right ports opened I am now able to view the Web UI remotely. The port that needed opened was not mentioned in the user manual or NVR settings nor did the manufacturers support team even come close to understanding what I was trying to do. Thank you again for your help.

davmtchll

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
Thank you, I will try using wireshark to find what other ports may need open. I have tried using Teamviewer (from work) to view the camera and it works but I'd like another alternative for when I bring my computer with me which is often the case.
I figured it out, It was a combination of getting the right IP configuration and finding the right ports to open. The user manual was no help and neither was the manufacturer. I used Wireshark to compare the packets between local logins and remote attempts to find the port that was being blocked. Thank you for the advice.