Can someone look over this shopping list?

SamV

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I'm finally upgrading our gaming 2 year-old PC.

I'm taking the case, screen, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, and PSU from the existing gaming PC.

Here are the components I'm considering. I could probably do cheaper by buying all around, but I like Newegg, and I like getting everything in one place.

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

Open Box: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM $35.99

XFX PVT42EUDE3 Geforce 6800 XTreme 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $129.00 ($95 after rebate)

BUFFALO Select 1GB (2 x 512MB ) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model DD4002-K1G/BR - Retail $76.99

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail $135.00

Total: $428.96

What do y'all think?

Thanks for the input.

Dybowski

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
spot it for a 7600gt it performs better than a 7800 in "some" scenarios also get some cosair value select ram, thats just my two cents

I'm partial to Nvidia Cards, but after looking at some benchmarks, it seems that the X850XT beats the 6800GT. One tip though..... don't buy open box just to save some money... as taken from the Newegg.com FAQ:

"Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it."

I'm not sure if the original (manufacturer) warranty can be transferred to the new owner of an open box item or not (if anyone knows for sure, please say something). If not... after 15 days are up, you're screwed.

Edit: Dybowski's suggestion to spot it for a 7600gt is also a good option.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Am also debating the 6800 vs. the X850xt now.

The X850 is only $30 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688R

Any thoughts on that?

I can't speak from experience, but when I gave up on the 7900GT for my video/music editing box (that sees some gaming) I got an X850XT for it. Should be here early next week and maybe finally that box will arise from the nvidia ashpit. So, based on reviews and benchmarks, the 850XT looks like a great deal. Even better was that I got two games bundled that my son has been asking for. That amounted to $60 saved right there.

ShadowdogKGB

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
There's nothing wrong with the ULI 1695 board. I have an ASRock with one and it's right on par with my NF4 DFI board. Google it. They're perfectly fine.

Bah on the Buffalo memory. And bah on 2x512. If you want to go cheap get some A-Data Vitesta 2x1gb.

I had a little X800GT with a modded bios that was faster than a 6800 Xtreme or whatever. You can find them on Newegg's open box for 80 bucks or so. You'll want a SM 3.0 capable card though. X series ATI's don't have it. Just the newer X1000's and the 7 series Nvidia's.

Say what you want I'm just tellin' you my experience. As far as Newegg's open box I've been buying that stuff for a couple years now. They used to call them Refurbished but just recently changed it. 9 times out of 10 I get a perfect product. When your buying processors, motherboards, or video cards the thing to pay attention to is how they're priced. If they're priced considerably cheaper then you can count on just getting the bare product. No retail package, no driver CD, no accessories; and on the motherboards no I/O shield for the case. I got my Opty 165 from there for 290 bucks and the only thing wrong was the box was crushed a little. It was purely cosmetic.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Give it another 2 months. You will be able to get better stuff! :lol: The prices will be coming down soon when they come out with the new chips!

Yellow-Asterisk

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
I personaly have a 7600 gt from e-vga and i am very pleased with it. thus far it has tore through anything i have thrown on it. It did the HL2 lost coast stress test with and 80FPS average. The rest of the my system is an opteron 165, with 2 gigs of gskill ram. Just to give you a reference point.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I'm finally upgrading our gaming 2 year-old PC.

I'm taking the case, screen, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, and PSU from the existing gaming PC.

Here are the components I'm considering. I could probably do cheaper by buying all around, but I like Newegg, and I like getting everything in one place.

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250S0 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $74.99

Open Box: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM $35.99

XFX PVT42EUDE3 Geforce 6800 XTreme 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $129.00 ($95 after rebate)

BUFFALO Select 1GB (2 x 512MB ) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model DD4002-K1G/BR - Retail $76.99

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail $135.00

Total: $428.96

What do y'all think?

Thanks for the input.
Well, first off, depending on what you value your time at, it could be that simply going to NewEgg could simply win up being the best option; I would know, having spent a few hundred hours comparing prices over the past months... Most of the time, NewEgg does come out on top.

As for the components you've selected:[*:4945a2ed11]Hard Drive: some people like Maxtor drives; I'm not really one of them. Admitedly, while I've never had a Maxtor drive fail on ME, they've failed pretty often on other people; my guess is that Maxtor drives particularly dislike heat. (I've never had any opf my HDDs fail, BTW) I personally recommend sticking to only three brands: Hitachi, Seagate, and Western Digital. (WD) However, it's really your choice.
[*:4945a2ed11]Motherboard: That's a particularly solid board, although I still urge cation when deciding to get an open-box component. That model does boast solid reliability and gaming performance, suprising for a non nForce-based board. However, isn't that the model that comes with both AGP and PCI-express? Granted, it might be the cheapest, but to me it would just seem funny getting the one good S939 board with both slots, when I would never use the AGP slot.
[*:4945a2ed11]Video Card: exactly what model "suffix" does it have? It implies that it's an "6800XT," which is NOT good; it may have GDDR-3 memory, but it has 8 of its pixel pipelines disabled. For that price range, I can't help but think that there might be some better ideas; it seems that he X850XT and 7600GT would be better. (see further down for more on that)
[*:4945a2ed11]RAM: Buffalo is more of a third-party brand. As such, you can't really be sure who's supplying their chips. Although you're likely not going to have any problems with it, most people prefer memory from more known brands like Corsair, which always use chips made by Samsung, the best maker of RAM chips.
[*:4945a2ed11]CPU: Although technically "old," You still really can't go wrong with a Venice-core, especially if you're on a budget. The only improvements you could really make here would be if you were comfortable with excessive overclocking, or were ready to buy a more expensive chip.Now, perhaps the real puzzling debate here is on the video card; people are quick to give the crown in this range to any one card, but the two favorites are the X850XT and the 7600GT.

However, it's tricky to compare them, because they differ pretty drastically, and in ways that have clear effects on performance, but differences that go both ways.

I think that it would come down to what games you intend to play, and how you intend to play them. The 7600GT's main strength is its SM 3.0 support. This is something that the X850XT doesn't have, and there's no way to compensate for it.

On the flip side, the X850XT may SEEM to be slower, by virtue of being clocked, in the core and RAM respectively, at 520MHz and 1080MHz, compared to 560MHz and 1400MHz for the GeForce 7600GT. However, clock speeds only tell half of the story; the 7600GT has only 12 "pixel pipelines," (it's really an outdated term, but it works enough for discussion here) while the X850XT has 16. Likewise, the X850XT has a 256-bit RAM interface, while the 7600GT's is only 128-bit; in other words, in spite of the clock speed difference, the 7600GT has only some 65% of the actual RAM bandwidth (speed) of the X850XT.

Either one will be good enough for today's games, and even tomorrow's games. However, it should be noted that the 7600GT will be stronger at lower resolutions, as well as more texture-intensive games (like Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2) while the X850XT will be best at higher resolutions (due to its higher memory bandwidth) and more shader-intensive games, particularly those that use SM 2.0, like Oblivion. (Oblivion is suprisingly ATi-friendly; that X850XT might give a 7800GTX a run for its money)

SamV

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Thanks again - for all the very thoughtful replies. I've been learning a lot.

When looking over the list of graphics cards at Newegg, I see many seemingly identical cards. How does one choose among them (if they are indeed identical)?

For instance:

SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100106-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100106SR-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

I don't know enough about specs to choose between them. How can I evaluate the differences?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Thanks again - for all the very thoughtful replies. I've been learning a lot.

When looking over the list of graphics cards at Newegg, I see many seemingly identical cards. How does one choose among them (if they are indeed identical)?

For instance:

SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100106-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100106SR-RD Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

I don't know enough about specs to choose between them. How can I evaluate the differences?
Well, if they all list the same description, and are of the exact same model, from the exact same company, than I'd have to think that they are all the same card, as I would judge taking a look at the cards in question.

What will be the difference, though, will be what else you get with the card. The differences would appear not in the technical specs, but in the "Package Contents" bit at the end:[*:852b63c7eb]In this case, the "SR-RD" is actually the retail model, and will come with all of the flourishes you want, down to that impressive-looking box ATi shows you.
[*:852b63c7eb]The "L" model is the "lite retail" version. It skips the packaged games, paper manual, (the manual is still availible on the driver CD) and comes in a box that tightly fits the card, rather than one the size of a small PC case.
[*:852b63c7eb]The "RD" model is the plain OEM model. They don't show the box among its pictures, because it will come in a generic cardboard box, that won't have anything on it. As well, it also uses a generic heatsink design, that isn't stylized with Sapphire's artwork. It is functionally identical, though.Inexplicably, the cheaper one happens to be the "lite retail" one. As far as what you'll actually get and might use, it's the same as the ($10US more expensive) OEM one, so there's no reason to take the OEM one.

The Lite model might be the best to take, unless you want the packaged extras that the full retail model offers: it appears to be the PowerDVD software, an extra overclocking/tweaking tool, as two games, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow. Then, you might want to pay the additional $10US for the full retail model.

SamV

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Thanks for the help.

Ordered today:

MSI K8N Diamond Plus Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail

Should be a nice upgrade from the current system (old Athlon CPU and a Radeon 9600XT).

Thanks again.

-sam

SamV

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Just a quick follow-up.

I ordered the items above and, much to my surprise, the motherboard is all but brand new. All extras sealed, full retail packaging, etc. I can't tell if the actual motherboard is refurbished or not, but everything looks and works great.

The install went easily enough. It took me a little googling to figure out that my 20 pin connector on my PSU would fit into the 24 pin on the motherboard. Likewise, the 12V connector on my PSU is 4 pin...not 8 pin like on the mobo, but it is also backward compatible.

To be honest, I really didn't have to do much. I assembled everything, ran my XP SP2 installer and then the ATI and Creative drivers. I had a little trouble after the ATI install - the computer kept giving an error about the gfx settings and then rebooting. But a little fiddling did the trick.

I've never done any benchmarking, so my impressions are just subjective. I installed Ages III, Doom3, Battle for Middle Earth II, and Black and While II. All play well at 1280x1024 at the highest settings, which is a far cry from before. The kids love it (it is for them.... right?). :)

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Sam V.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I've never done any benchmarking, so my impressions are just subjective. I installed Ages III, Doom3, Battle for Middle Earth II, and Black and While II. All play well at 1280x1024 at the highest settings, which is a far cry from before. The kids love it (it is for them.... right?). :)

Sure it's for the kids, you included! I love to hear the success stories. Thanks for posting the followup.