[SOLVED] Can someone please explain these HWiNFO temperature readings to me...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I recently upgraded my system to a 3700X and an Asus ROG Strix X570-E motherboard. Since doing so, I've noticed that this mobo has WAY MORE temperature readings than my old B450 Tomahawk. Can someone please explain what these 'new' temperature readings are referring to? Some of them seem pretty high (i.e. 95*C+).

View: https://imgur.com/a/N406YGP

In this particular screenshot there is one particular temperature reading of 97 degrees! That seems insanely hot to me and is sort of concerning... :/

Thank you in advance for any help!

-DUAL33s

Reactions: Blunderfluff

Thank you in advance for any help!

-DUAL33s
I'm going to make a not-so-wild guess....but I think pretty good.

What that is is an unconnected sensor circuit in the monitoring chip. Being unconnected it will just randomly readout a value based on...something I don't know.

You might try shutting down and booting up again, several times, and see if it comes up with a different value. I've had that happen to me, warm boots and cold boots bringing up the unconnected sensor with a different value. On a different motherboard, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathkrul

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Apparently you are not the only person having that issue:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112679-Temp-Sensors-Strix-X570-e

You will need to contact Asus Support and see if they will tell exactly what those sensors are monitoring and how you can lower the temps for them.
damn. okay thanks for the info. im hoping the high temp isn't actually too high for whatever part of the board or VRM it is monitoring. like maybe its a "hot spot" location, similar to how the AMD GPU's (5700, 5700XT, etc.) have a "hot spot" reading that looks super hot, but in reality it is supposed to run at that high temp and it is well within spec.

thanks again....ill have to do some more research and probably contact Asus.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I know what you mean... I have the ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero board.. There are temp 5 and temp 9 in HWiNFO64 and i have no idea what they are reading. But all I can tell you is that the max reading on any of the temps on my board is 50 degrees on Temp 9. Interestingly, that temp remains the same no matter what happens... it always reads 50 degrees.

Blunderfluff

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I am seeing the same thing with the X570-F. Temp 2 and 5 reading 78c and 82c respectively.

Both are fluctuating up then down by 1c, which might suggest it is a real reading. The strangest part is these temps actually go down by 10c while the system is under full load. Tested with an instance of Metro at max settings @ 1440p at around 150-200fps.

Motherboard is reading 34c and chipset 58c. 39c and 63c under load.

Both are fluctuating up then down by 1c, which might suggest it is a real reading. The strangest part is these temps actually go down by 10c while the system is under full load. Tested with an instance of Metro at max settings @ 1440p at around 150-200fps.

Thats seems rationally possible with an open sensor lead. The 1 degree fluctuation is simply explained by normal voltage fluctuations internal to the monitoring chip and/or random electromagnet noise an unterminated lead picks up. And the false temperature drop can be explained by supply voltage changes feeding the monitor chip when the CPU and/or GPU suck more power from the PSU as they bring on the load.

Remember that in general, when not terminated to a proper sense point monitoring algorithms have nothing to reference from so can behave strangely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.