Question Can someone please give some input on this system/upgrade option?

jthornton

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
My office is considering replacing the computer in the boardroom. Our office is a small office with 4 people that share the boardroom for client meetings. We have a TV on the wall with https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkcentre-m72e-4004-p-g2020t-2-5-ghz-monitor-none-series/ connected to it.

This computer is used for:
  • Internet/browser access
  • MS Word
  • MS Excel

That is mainly it. Some of our suppliers have their own proprietary software we run but they are not resource intensive.

No graphics/video editing. At most they might stream a video from Youtube.

Right now our issue is that the boot up is VERY slow. Loading software is slow too.

Looking at the specs of that system link I have above, it shows that there is an SSD drive although I have not cracked the case to confirm. That said, we do have 4GB ram instead.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the hardware, but after looking at the specs I'm thinking that it might be better just to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and increase the ram to say 8GB.

Maybe the SSD drive could be slowing down, is that possible? Ours is 500GB and it is only 74GB used.

If upgrading I was thinking of something like this: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFRV8UZ2270&Tpk=9SIAFRV8UZ2270&ignorebbr=1

Some input on this would be great.

Any modern CPU will handle the basic functions you are looking for. 4gb of RAM is the minimum for Windows, but that should not be the reason for the slow boot times. With a system with a SSD your computer should boot very fast.

The Nuc you selected will be just fine for what you want, although it may be a little overboard. With the Nuc you are paying for the small form factor, which makes since for a conference room.

Just get modern computer with a SSD and the hardware will suit your needs.

Sorry for the late response

Windows 7 is not the reason your current system is running slow. But you can switch if you want. Some people really like Windows 7 and dont want to go to 10.

I would need more information to troubleshoot your current system. Using only 74gb of a 500gb SSD is actually good for the SSD as you want to leave about 20% excess space on the SSD.

jthornton

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
The main reason for changing from Windows 7 Pro is that it is an office computer. The IT company says that Windows is at End of Life at the end of this year. Based on our industry and strict compliance regulations, we are required to stay up to date with patches and security, so Windows 10 is pretty much a must at this point.

I was only mentioning because with older computers they tend to slow down and a fresh install tends to speed them up I find.